Safari 2 finger swipe

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jonny5009, May 7, 2010.

1. jonny5009 macrumors member

jonny5009

I used to have a MacBook pro and was very used to 2 finger swiping to go back and forward in safari. Now that I have the iPad I keep doing it on accident. Does anyone else do this too? Also are there any details from the recent 4.0 sdk that there may be more functionality like this added?

2. aleni macrumors 68020

so far as i know, there is still no support for gesture in 4.0. hopefully Apple will add it, they will sooner or later though.

for the time being, you can use Atomic Web Browser for the gesture support.

3. thespazz macrumors 6502a

This would be really neat to implement. Three finger would be cool for forward and back.

4. iRabbit macrumors 6502

I haven't done it, but I do miss it!

5. HXGuy macrumors 68000

6. Starbucker macrumors member

Yes that would be great. I admit that moving my hand all the way to the top is just too much effort. I've become really lazy from this device.

7. Love Juice macrumors regular

I also suggest atomic browser. You can set up two finger swipe to forward / back in the settings (default is changing between tabs). That alone is worth the $0.99 to me :)

8. Peter Harrison macrumors 6502a

Peter Harrison

Incase anyone is reading this and getting confused, it's 3 finger swiping left and right now on OSX, and has been for a while to go back and forward through pages. 2 fingers for scrolling. 4 fingers up shows the desktop, 4 fingers left or right is the same as cmd+tab, and 4 fingers down is Expose.

9. Mach1.8 macrumors member

I'm quite surprised this feature isn't already here. It's also not supported (to the extent that it could be) by the magic mouse (there are a few 3rd party apps that fill that void though).

If I could make one improvement to this device, it would be a more robust integration of multi gesture. My BB Storm actually does this with aplomb. For example, swiping left or right while reading an email, brings up the next message in my inbox. It's very slick, and such a feature would be epic on an iPad. Such integration would make the calendar app an order of magnitude more useable too.

10. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Two finger swipe is already recognized.

I discovered this while typing a lengthy comment here on MacRumors: A two finger swipe inside the "Message:" box will scroll just the contents of the message box (like a mouse's scroll wheel).

Whereas a one finger swipe (inside or outside the message box) scrolls the whole page.

11. jonny5009 thread starter macrumors member

jonny5009

Awesome! I will definitely check out atomic browser. I am missing my swipes.

12. Mach1.8 macrumors member

Whoa! Nice find. They should publish this stuff!

13. Peter Harrison macrumors 6502a

Peter Harrison

Between this thread and the other on iPad Tips and Tricks, I'm really surprised with the things people are discovering and enjoying. These are all things I've been doing since the iPhone 3G was released. So I agree with you... the fact that so many people still don't know so many basic features of the iPhone OS highlights the need for a full instruction manual with all gestures, shortcuts and hidden features.

14. Love Juice macrumors regular

Been there for a long time since the iPhone (not sure what fw introduced it). It's just hard to notice because of the tiny screen. Well, maybe not tiny, but it seems that way after being on an iPad for any length of time :p