Safari - 20 second lag

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kolax, Jun 13, 2009.

1. kolax macrumors G3

I'll try my best to explain the symptoms. Basically, I'll be surfing the web using Safari (happened with v3 and v4 over a range of Macs I've owned) and I'll click a link and suddenly Safari will load that page, everything will be blank and not loading (load bar remains stationary) then suddenly after 20-30 seconds it'll load the page. During the 20-30s of no loading, I've opened a new window, tried to go to any webpage in that and nothing happens for a while, then it'll suddenly load the page (the same time the other window loads).

Following me so far..? This happens once every few hours, but lately its been happening a few times in the space of 10 minutes.

My internet is fine, as I can browse in Firefox etc while Safari has connection troubles.

I have had this issue on my old Mac, through all versions of Leopard. I've just done a complete reinstall of OS X so nothing dodgy. There's no bad DNS stuff or trojan stuff. It is purely something to do with Safari.

Any ideas?

2. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

Happened twice in the past few minutes. It's been fine for the past day.

Anyone any ideas what is going on? It is just Safari that goes funny for 20-60 seconds, Firefox, MSN Messenger etc all work fine.

3. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

Still happening on certain occasions.

If I'm streaming content in Safari, that still works, just Safari just seems to not load anything for 20-40 seconds.

4. freesonwang macrumors member

Hm...if your saying it "happened over a range of Macs", that sounds like it might be a problem with the actual internet your using.

Did you try using wired ethernet to take out the variability of a wireless connection? Obviously, if Safari is working on ethernet it's a wireless problem. On the other hand, you did say Firefox was working fine...was it at the same time you were running Safari?

5. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

That *really* sounds like a DNS issue. Potentially a DNS issue involving CFNetwork handling it poorly, of course.

6. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

Yeah - it is only Safari that has an issue when this happens. Firefox will work fine when Safari is doing this, Transmission etc. I was streaming some video off Veetle and when it happened again, the stream was unaffected.

I checked the DNS stuff in Network settings and there's nothing dodgy. Safari will work fine otherwise, it is really random when this happens, but it is really frustrating when it does, as things like Facebook chat stop working.

I do have an RSS feed setup and that is to check every 30 minutes. I wonder if it is something to do with that..?

7. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

For some reason, this is back again and Safari will barely work at all. Constantly not loading webpages while other web applications other than Safari work fine.

What is going on...? I'm using an Airport Express to connect to.

8. Amdahl macrumors 65816

Definitely try switching to the OpenDNS servers for a while and see if the problem goes away. 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220.