Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akadmon

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
New England
Has anyone figured out how to turn off font smoothing in Safari 3.0, particularily in the Windows version? I have ClearType turned off on my Windows machine (I'm the type that can't stand looking at fuzzy looking type), but Safari seems to be giving me the "always on" attitude, and I DON'T LIKE THAT. What a turnoff!:mad:

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
Has anyone figured out how to turn off font smoothiong in Safari 3.0, particularily in the Windows version? I have ClearType turned off on my Windows machine (I'm the type that can't stand looking at fuzzy looking type), but Safari seems to be giving me the "always on" attitude, and I DON'T LIKE THAT. What a turnoff!:mad:
like this?
font-rendering-safari3-closeup.png

font-rendering-ie7-closeup.png

do some searches on google, I remember somebody said u can set font hinting, etc, somewhere in safari for win. however, they also said in safari 3 for win, the different setting doesn't really make much difference.

TiAdiMundo

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2006
You can set font smoothing to "Light". For me it's the best available in Safari 3 on Windows but it still looks like surfing the net over a Wii on tv. With such a bad font smoothing, Apple will never take over the world :p

Even the iTunes users on Windows got ClearType.

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
You can set font smoothing to "Light". For me it's the best available in Safari 3 on Windows but it still looks like surfing the net over a Wii on tv. With such a bad font smoothing, Apple will never take over the world :p

Even the iTunes users on Windows got ClearType.

It's not "bad" so much as it is "different in a way you don't like". Apple's AA algorithm preserves letter forms and weights better, but cleartype preserves sharpness better. My guess would be that priorities at Apple were set by graphic design and/or publishing guys.

The only real solution is high resolution displays :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.