Safari 3.0 = IE + Firefox Killer?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by btaussie, Jun 11, 2007.

1. btaussie macrumors member

btaussie

To be perfectly frank I've been using Safari 3.0 for a while now and without a doubt it is faster than IE 7 or Firefox 2. Having said that to accomplish Apple's (Steve Job's) vision of capturing a higher market share of the browsers what do members feel need to be added to Safari for this to be achieved?

Here's some suggestions, maybe Apple may like some and add them to future updates:

- Since 30% of ALL internet traffic is BitTorrent based how about a built-in BitTorrent client built into Safari. They(Apple) seem to achieve great things with speed and ease-of-use with applications. Without a doubt a good BitTorrent client needs these two features. So how about it Apple?

- (Not really Safari but...) A plugin with iChat that when using iChat you can have a direct link to Youtube that will automatically create a video uplink to Youtube in all its Mac glory. This will bring 'vlogging' to a new light in my opinion. (Since Apple & Youtube-Google have a direct partnership this is a interesting possibility)

- Incorporate Cover Flow to widgets. I mean widgets are great scattered everywhere all over the screen but with the increase in the potential for hundreds to thousands wouldn't cover flow provide a nice way to view them?

- Incorporate Spaces into Safari. For example: I'm doing an assignment on the History of Computers (which I have done before). The sheer volume of information sorted into Tabs is unmanageable. Why not spaces to help organise them?

- Seen an event of info on Safari and love to make it a "to do" or "iCal event"...I think you get the picture.....

Anyway they just seem to be a few dream ideas I've come up with. Tell us what you think would be great...

Cheers,
    btaussie.

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

mate those are some awsome ideas!!!! have u ever applied to work at apple haha. built in ichat, i love that idea... cept it would have to support msn. keep the ideas comming!!!

laters

3. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

These have nothing to do with Safari. I know you mentioned that, but perhaps you need to update your thread title to reflect where this thread is going.

Seeing as this is incorporated into Mail, I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't also incorporated into Safari.

4. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

Only in Australia... AIM is still the biggest network... and is actually quite good, you should try it some time :rolleyes:

5. btaussie thread starter macrumors member

btaussie

Funnily enough I've just completed my Computer Science degree majoring in Internet Technology so maybe Apple might like me to join their department of the development of Safari LOL. (Pipe Dream) Small problem, I live in Australia, they reside in America ...... I'll stick to enjoying their products :)

Further addition: With Apple's obsession with CoverFlow I give about 6 months and there will be some addition of this great technology to Safari, hey it re-invigorated iTunes why not Safari?

It went New Window browsing (IE) then Tabs (Firefox) maybe CoverFlow for Safari??

Regards,
    btuassie

6. btaussie thread starter macrumors member

btaussie

Something else to add...

With the explosion of the "MySpace generation" how about 'Skins' for Safari. Maybe the default skin could be a Leopard print. It might influence Window Safari users hey try Leopard ... just a thought ...

7. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

Google Bookmarks Plugin

All I need is Google Browser Sync for Safari to allow all my machines (Windows/Mac) to sync their bookmarks and I'll go back to Safari. Until then, it's Firefox for me.

8. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Spaces: OmniWeb has a feature like that, and it's wonderful. Safari would be a lot more useful with its own version of the idea.

BitTorrent: it is especially hard not to notice that iTunes leaves it out, podcasting would really benefit if the most-deployed client played along. Other podcast clients were beginning to add it before Apple jumped in and hampered progress in that area. The protocol has obvious image problems that Apple would need to overcome, since they are among the largest music retailers and growing in the video segment.

YouTube integration: Meh. iChat would have to grow some editing capabilities to make it useful, and that seems to be covered by iMovie.

9. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

this is a very interesting set of posts. I think you raised some legit points worth discussing and thinking through.

10. DinnyHoon macrumors member

Due to the way many Windows users are raised to look down upon Apple, I think the only way Jobs could raise the market share of Safari significantly is to offer free women with every download for Windows.

However, I do like the idea of many of the above posts :D

11. btaussie thread starter macrumors member

btaussie

A further thought had occurred to me today. Do you think Apple should try and monopolise the Safari browser by doing the following...

First off it's obvious that Apple will rework (eventually) .Mac, it's a great an interesting concept but just doesn't quite cut it for the price it offers compared to what it delivers...

Having said that do you think that .Mac integration of some kind should be brought into Safari? It's heavily supported in native Mac apps like iLife, iWork and so forth, why not spread it to Safari?

Furthermore, what about a built in FTP/SFTP/SSH client built into Safari?

Crazy thoughts perhaps....
    -btaussie

12. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

umm...It's odd because through Parallels I used Safari, but in OSX right now I'm using Firefox, and it's only because of the vast amount of plug ins and add on's. If Safari had those I would use Safari, but until then I sue Firefox and I don't think I'm alone on the Mac platform, nor would I guess on the Windows platform, hopefully apple will allow third party plug ins for safari that would probably make me switch over.

13. btaussie thread starter macrumors member

btaussie

I think you read more into the WWDC2007 keynote speech Steve mentioned that 3rd party apps can be created for the iPhone but are restricted to the Safari browser on iPhone. Since the Safari browser is a complete version, ie. same version that's on Mac OS X, it's logical to suggest that third party add-ons for Mac OS X/Windows is not far off at all.

Furthermore, as you mentioned, Firefox has a stack of add-ons that have contributed to its popularity. If Safari is to 'take a slice of the browser wars pie wheel' than it seems obvious that 3rd party apps are the way to go.

I would also like to add that I'm really getting fed up with many users 'bagging' Safari 3.0 and its flaws. Why you say? Firstly by constantly pointing out and bagging Safari's flaws your actually putting a smile on Apple's faces. They now can have all the information they need to plug the holes in Safari and release an Alpha version come October with the launch of Leopard. Which is of course a good thing but coming to the conclusion that Safari is dead is a misguided conclusion. Don't go on a smear compaign that Safari is crap and Safari is dead and so on...its BetA people! Judge after the final version has been released. All software has flaws and Apple isn't immune from this. Apple make great software but they need the support of its users to make even better software and not comments that are not constructive. Let's give Apple their support and look forward to the future.

-btaussie.