Safari 3.1.1 -> Cannot install to "./" = Broken Safari & DiskUtility

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cruxflux, May 6, 2008.

1. cruxflux macrumors newbie

So I try to update Safari to 3.1.1 as recommended and now I have to use Firefox to post this message.

And now 'Disk Utility' won't work either!

Repairing permissions for “Macintosh HD”
    Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit.
    Permissions repair complete

Do you think 10.5.3 will fix these problems?

Apple Support sure don't move a fin to get this fixed.

2. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Sounds like you have some disk corruption. If you don't have a clone to boot from, use the DVD that came with your mac and boot from that.

Once in the installer, select English (first screen) and stop there. Under the Utilities Menu, select Disk Utility, select your volume and run First Aid. Do a verify disk. If you see errors, run the repair. Then you can run repair permissions.

3. cruxflux thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I have booted from the OSX DVD and tried verify disk with no problem but repair disk gives the same error as repair permissions.

4. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

I would talk to Apple again and have this escalated. If you are getting the error message from the Disk Utility Repair function while booted from the OS DVD, it sounds like your hard disk itself is having a problem.

If that is not an option to you, backup all of your data (your important files) and try to do a "fresh install", first erasing/reformatting the disk from the install DVD (I would do this from the Utility Menu -> Disk Utility and select the actual device name, NOT the volume name). If the erase/reformat fails, your disk has a major problem.