Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Looks like Apple released Safari 3.2.1 in Software update. Usual "This update includes stability improvements and is recommended for all Safari users" line.

Yay! MacRumors published one of my posts (Page 2, but it's something)! I feel special now.

AlexH

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2006
After installing the update, the computer restarts, and I get a flashing question mark on startup. Really odd. I have no idea what's going on...

ShiggyMiyamoto

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
Just outside Boston, MA.
Needs a bloody restart?!

Haha. I was ready to install it too, and when I saw it needs a restart I was like WTF? I mean srsly, why for just a point update does it need to restart? Does it also update some kext or something? Sheesh.

Even so, I'd do it, but:

• I'm encoding video for my iPhone

and

• If what AlexH says is true, I don't want to do it. A flashing ? mark at boot up is not good. I mean, I know how to fix it when it's like that (it generally means that somehow the bootstrap got messed up and the computer doesn't see the OS X system folder. Simply boot up from your Mac OS X DVD, or another computer, and set the Startup Disk properly).

AlexH

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2006
Haha. I was ready to install it too, and when I saw it needs a restart I was like WTF? I mean srsly, why for just a point update does it need to restart? Does it also update some kext or something? Sheesh.

Even so, I'd do it, but:

• I'm encoding video for my iPhone

and

• If what AlexH says is true, I don't want to do it. A flashing ? mark at boot up is not good. I mean, I know how to fix it when it's like that (it generally means that somehow the bootstrap got messed up and the computer doesn't see the OS X system folder. Simply boot up from your Mac OS X DVD, or another computer, and set the Startup Disk properly).
After a few minutes of the flashing ? mark, I powered down and started it back up. It booted up correctly and went right into OS X. I haven't noticed anymore odd behavior. I'm going to reboot and make sure it's ok...

editonmac

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2008
SoCal
No Problems With Safari

So far I have had no problems with Safari.

Oh, I just realized I am running Safari 4 Developer Preview on my MacBook Pro. No updates to that yetl

ShiggyMiyamoto

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
Just outside Boston, MA.
After a few minutes of the flashing ? mark, I powered down and started it back up. It booted up correctly and went right into OS X. I haven't noticed anymore odd behavior. I'm going to reboot and make sure it's ok...

Okay. Keep us posted!

So far I have had no problems with Safari.

Oh, I just realized I am running Safari 4 Developer Preview on my MacBook Pro. No updates to that yetl

Haha. Lucky. I can't wait for Safari 4 to go prime time. I know I could sign up for ADC and get the beta, but I'd rather not. Heh.

AlexH

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2006
Well, everything seems to be fine. I rebooted normally, safari seems to be acting ok, no weirdness or instability, just a brief scare! :eek: :D

jayhawk11

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007
Thank God for this update....I have had ridiculous problems with stability since 3.2

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
Is this safe to install unlike the mess of 3.2?

It's not going to make addons not crash Safari, and it's not going to fix the CFNetwork crash that turned up in one of the other threads.

It should, however, fix another crash or two. Looking at the webkit changelog it looks like the one webkit-side fix is for a quicktime related crash. There might be other ones fixes in the non-opensource part of Safari, I don't have access to that.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Updated...no discernible changes. But Safari is now just 8mb in size after stripping UB & Languages

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
When Software Update popped up and asked if I wanted to "Install & Restart", it restarted without installing the update. :confused: I went back and manually checked for updates and told it to install, then it actually did install. No problems with the update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.