Safari 3 Beta,are you happy with it?

Did you have any problems after downloading safari 3 beta?

• Yes,do NOT download it!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No,it works like charm!!

Votes: 11 100.0%

• Total voters

XheartcoreboyX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
i really would love to download it the taps options are just great(i tried on windows earlier)..but,i did hear about its problems and read some negative posts on here....are you happy with it??

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
I'm reasonably happy with it, very stable and haven't really ahd any problems with it. However if i leave it open for a couple of days it swells up to over a 150MB ram which is really quite a lot.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I'm reasonably happy with it, very stable and haven't really ahd any problems with it. However if i leave it open for a couple of days it swells up to over a 150MB ram which is really quite a lot.
Yeah, this has been pointed out before...there's one thing I find interesting. I like to reset safari periodically (I reset it once every 1.5-2 weeks, keeping it open continuously in between). One sign that it was due was that the reset would take a fair amount of time (on my iBook G4, but definitely also on my G5 -- it would beachball and take several seconds at least). In contrast, resetting Safari 3 is instantaneous on both Macs. I don't care about the time saved or anything, I'm just curious why it took so long before and what changed. Especially since people are claiming that memory leaking / inefficiency is worse in the new Safari.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
The spell checker needs work. I don't see much of a difference honestly aside from the few bugs.

JPark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2006
I don't know how it's doing after the last patch. I had to yank it before the patch came out because it was completely unusable. It worked fine for about 3 days, then somehow it broke so that anytime I tried to type in the address bar it locked up and quit.

Based on your reports I might have to give it another go. I liked the Firefox-like Find function and that it actually asks you if you want to close all windows (the Splat-W is perilously close to Splat-Q for it to not ask you if you really meant to do that).

XheartcoreboyX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
thanks guys for your responses =)
i just wonder if i download it and dont like it or it had bad bugs..can i install the earlier version instead?

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
It comes with an uninstaller which will revert it back to safari 2.04 or whatever the latest version is.