Safari 3 Beta, to DL or not to DL??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ~J~, Sep 11, 2007.

1. ~J~ macrumors 6502

Anyone downloaded and tried this? I am curious if there are any real advantages right now (w/Tiger) compared to the actual release version that will come with Leopard (next month!)

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

you waited this long. what's another month? really, though, i can't get over how much i love the search in safari 3, as well as movable tabs. two things that would make me never go back.

3. ~J~ thread starter macrumors 6502

Haha... I know, I know. But I forgot it was out. So I just downloaded it... pretty sweet. Seems a bit quicker too... always a plus! And I love that you can move around tabs and the search feature is great... no looking back here! Cant wait till I can get my hands on the rest of the awesome features of Leopard!!

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I was going to say, now that PithHelmet and Saft works in Safari 3 Beta why not use it? It's been no less stable than Safari 2 for me. Love the find feature (taken from Firefox) and native moveable tabs.

5. ~J~ thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, so I was a little behind on this one. I was just curious if there were any stability issues.

6. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Sorry, I didn't mean to come off as a jerk. Forgiveness Please.

7. jarenado macrumors regular

jarenado

8. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

I've used it since the day Apple released it and it has been fine for me.

9. iBunny macrumors 65816

10. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

it's a great upgrade over safari 2 for the reasons stated in this thread, and it's as stable as both safari 2 and camino in my experience. There's no reason to wait.

11. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

I installed it to see if it handled flash videos any better than Camino does (Camino keeps crashing recently on me) . It doesn't, but once I have Leopard I'll probably switch to use Safari, it seems a lot faster.

12. ~J~ thread starter macrumors 6502

I didnt take your comment as you being a jerk. I just feel behind since it seems like everyone has been using it for a while! I am using it now tho, and I love it. Cant wait till Leopard comes out with the final versions of a lot of great things in it!

13. jonnylink macrumors 6502

I haven't seen this addressed elsewhere, but I might just be blind. Is it easy to have Safari 2 + 3 on the same computer? I am thinking in terms of web design I'd want both.

14. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

I've never used the Mac version of 3, but I hate the Windows one. I don't like the Mac version of 2 either, but it at least seems usable compared to the Windows version of 3.

The one really cool feature (at least seemingly) is how the find function highlights words and makes everything else fade out. I'd love that stolen for Firefox.

15. gavd macrumors 6502a

Safari v3 replaces v2 when you install it, so you'd need to find a work around. Not sure if it's possible or not as I didn't mind replacing v2.

16. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

No idea. I just replaced Safari 2 as I saw no reason to keep it.

17. danny_w macrumors 601

I have not tried the Mac version of Safari v3 (I occasionally use v2 but usually use FireFox). I tried the Windows version (2 different releases) and liked it in general, but it was too unstable to really be usable. I would love to get rid of FF and standardize on Safari, but not until it becomes stable enough for everyday use at home (Mac) and at work (Windows). I also cannot (or at least will not) standardize on Safari unless Apple provides bookmark syncing for the Windows version (probably not going to happen, but who knows?). Until then, I will just continue to use FF.

18. iJawn108 macrumors 65816

iJawn108

It still doesn't render pages I use like camino does, webkit is sweet though. i love the element inspector.

19. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Well saying that the Windows version of Safari 3 is unstable and then using that as a reason not to use the Mac version is fairly short sighted. The Mac version has been rock solid for me.

20. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Definitely. I tried the Windows version not too long ago, it runs horribly in comparison. Not to mention it just looks completely out of place. I switched back to using firefox in Vista within 2 days.

21. jonnylink macrumors 6502

I forgot to mention that I've been using Safari three on another computer. It seems very ready for prime time. When I use Safari on my production computer I get disappointed-- especially when doing a search.

22. danny_w macrumors 601

Shortsighted it may be, but whatever I use as a browser must be available both on Windows and on Mac. I have never considered Safari on the Mac a serious contender because it has not been available on other platforms. Until that happens and is usable on both Windows and Mac, then Safari is pretty much worthless to me.

23. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Any particular reason why? Using just one browser across systems limits you from using the best for each particular operating system.

24. danny_w macrumors 601

While that is true, and is not a problem for most applications such as mail, for a web browser I would rather have a consistent environment with everything in the same place and all of my bookmarks the same without having to constantly switch from one system to another. I'm too busy to bother with the differences and have other things to do.

25. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Most people would consider the reverse to be true, i.e using the same mail client across systems is more important than having the same browser but each to their own I guess :).