Safari 3 Brushed Metal???

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lexus, Jun 11, 2007.

1. lexus macrumors 68000

lexus

Why does the beta have the same brushed metal look?

I thought it was over?

2. polishmacuser macrumors 6502a

polishmacuser

3. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

I think Jobs meant brushed metal is gone from the general UI, not apps - never understood why it was the finder anyway...

4. blakbyrd macrumors member

blakbyrd

I'm thinking when running under 10.4, its brushed, otherwise not?

5. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Second that. My understanding is that Safari calls a standard set of OS widgets. This means that in Tiger, it will receive the brushed metal information from the OS, and in Leopard it will get the grey version.

6. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

7. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Durr, Brushed Metal will be gone from everything in Leopard. Does not apply to Tiger, though.

8. tombarnes macrumors 6502

tombarnes

But in this screenshot, at the top, it is definitely tiger. It has a solid menu-bar and the current style dock, and no spaces, time machine etc. in the dock.

This screenshot definitely has a non-brushed metal interface (in the pictures at the top of the screen).

Attached Files:

9. tombarnes macrumors 6502

tombarnes

How does the iTunes non-brushed metal look work then?

10. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Just a press image mockup probably.

It has a non-standard interface built into the app. iTunes has always been like that. And the scroll bars are still different, too... I wonder if we will see iTunes 7 style scroll bars in Leopard as an Appearance option.

11. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Pretty much. In Interface Builder, there's a checkbox with which you specify a Textured window. If checked, the window (in 10.4) is brushed metal, if not, it's 'pinstripe'.

I don't have the 10.5 dev tools, but it'll be interesting to see if Apple even offer a choice in Leopard.

Personally, given that OSX windows tend to have a lot of title bar/toolbar/status bar/border space, I think that's an awful lot of bland gray to have onscreen at once. I'd rather have options. :eek:

12. STEPHEN SNELL macrumors newbie

(safari (3.0) Tiger)

I Totally Agree With You On The Same Look. Also, I'd Thought Safari (3.0) Was Going To Be Reserved For Mac OS X (10.5) "Leopard". This Version Is Really Unstable Because It Crashes Alot. I Just Hope That When Mac OS X (10.4.10) Update Gets Out It'll Be Cleaning-Up The Bugs Leftover.

13. thegrandmaster macrumors regular

thegrandmaster

I'm in love with Safari 3 right now, I switched from 2 to Camino (which is awesome) but having used the beta of Safari 3 and seeing just how fast and smooth it is, I switched back, fickle!! :D

I'm not getting any of the trouble lots of you seem to be complaining about, lots of Windows Users are having terrible trouble ( not just because they're stubborn Windows Users) and I hope it improves for you guys soon!

As for the brushed metal, I think they don't want to make it 'Leopard' whilst its still in Tiger, if that makes sense, there's no Webclip either, its just Safari 2 on speed with some under the hood improvements, we have to pay $129 for the eyecandy. Thanks Apple! :rolleyes:

14. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Still brushed metal for the time being. When Leopard comes out it will probably go by-by. The more I use Safari 3 the more I love it! :D :)

15. mark88 macrumors 6502a

Yes, this means all of your ugly brushed metal apps in tiger will be the new style in Leopard

16. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

17. CavemanUK macrumors 6502

CavemanUK

Does anyone have a rundown of the new features in safari 3? i just noticed the resizable text box when typing this reply.. thats really cool.

18. letaalio macrumors member

CavemanUK

Try searching with Command-F :)

Blazingly fast for me too.

19. CavemanUK macrumors 6502

CavemanUK

oh now thats nice ;) also just noticed dragging out a tab onto desktop.. cool morph like dashboard widgets

20. majorp macrumors 6502

also when you next post you will see that you can resize the textarea.

21. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

Im just upset that my contacts list does not show up in gmail =(

I assume that has to do with shoddy AJAX support. Hopefully it works in the final release. Its the only reason that I keep other browsers. Anyone have any info about this?

22. Taylor C macrumors 6502a

I've got to admit that I'm pretty impressed with Safari 3 so far, excluding a few things. I haven't had any problems with the browser itself, but it's still lacking a few features I love. For one, I've always wished I could specify that I want links to always open in new tabs as opposed to having to Command-click to get them to do so. Also, I wish I could use aliases like in Firefox or Camino--by typing in the alias (name) of a bookmark I've set, it directs me to the web site specified by that alias in my bookmarks.

Example: Type MR in the address bar and it would take you to macrumors.com, assuming that you've got the appropriate bookmark.

If anyone knows of a plugin for this, it'd be more than enough to make me switch to Safari full-time again. I've looked long and hard without any results. Safari 3 is -really- fast. I don't have brushed metal either, I'm using a unified Illuminous GUI (MyTenFive).

23. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

The previous Leopard beta looked like that.

Why Are You Capitalizing Everything?

24. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

I downloaded the Beta... love the tab moving... but, 1) wont load a plugin (and tells me everything time I open the app) 2) it doesnt load a homepage

so it got uninstalled and I'm back to the old Safari... meh!