Safari 3 Crashing problems

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BlakTornado, Nov 22, 2007.

1. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

Ok, well, I'm using Tiger (10.4.11) with Safari 3 and it keeps crashing almost every time I try to look at the Engadget RSS. And various other websites.

Does anyone else have this problem or a fix that doesn't require switching browser?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Have you tried a fresh user account to see if it crashes there too? It's working for me on Tiger with Safari 3.

3. Mr_Ed macrumors 6502

Same issue . . .

It happens to me fairly regularly, but only when browsing the Engadget RSS feed. I look at plenty of other RSS feeds without problems. I have the same experience on two different Macs, both running the latest version of OS 10.4 (10.4.11 now) so I don't think it's a problem with a specific user account. I've reported the problem to Apple multiple times (the post-crash "send report?" dialog).

I'm guessing (just a theory) some posts or combination of posts in the Engadget feed have something in them Safari can't handle and makes it toss its cookies. Since Engadget is a high volume RSS feed, you could have two people using Safari to browse the feed 30 minutes apart and only one may experience the crash. The "offending" post may be skipped by Safari for the late user or at the very least, the post may be much farther down the list.