Safari 3 has ruined my life!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by B@SS_SHOCK, Jun 12, 2007.

1. B@SS_SHOCK macrumors member

Not exactly, but because MSN kept on crashing I used the uninstaller. Everything seemed fine....

Then I used 2.0.1 and it was just loading pages of code. So I used the normal Safari 2.0 installer, unpackaged it and had visions of corrupting something when I replaced the WebKit folder in System.

And lo and behold, some apps will load (like Safari or QT) but iTunes, Mail, MSN and some others won't. Anyway to fix this up without a reinstall?

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

possibly restarting if you haven't tried that yet, or repairing permissions.

3. Simon R. macrumors 6502

Actually, I was suspicious that Safari 3 beta was to blame for my pretty big issues that I noticed afterwards... I needed to check out something in ProTools M-Powered, shortly after having installed Safari 3, and it simply refused to load. I tried rebooting, repairing etc., nothing worked. Then I tried uninstalling Safari 3, still no luck. To Apples defence I should say that I had installed two other programs (Soundflower and Izotope Ozone 3 - audio stuff) as well between the last time I ran ProTools and now, and uninstalling both of those didn't help either. The only thing that got ProTools running again was re-installing the 10.4.9 combo update. I re-installed Izotope Ozone 3, ProTools still works... I am NOT going to install Safari 3 beta again...

4. A Pittarelli macrumors 6502

betas do have disclaimers warning of things like this, so i would lower your surprised level

5. Simon R. macrumors 6502

It is pretty rare to see betas ruin other programs. I guess Safari tampers with the system on a deeper level than any "normal" program.

6. B@SS_SHOCK thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I can note a few times where something similar has happened on XP but I've never had a beta experience as crazy as this, especially from Apple!

Well I did repair permissions, surprisingly it didn't do anything. Luckily unpkg would launch and I manually reinstalled the Safari 3.0 system files and everything is back to normal.

But unlike before where the uninstaller would install the previous Safari which would only show source code, now the uninstaller refuses to work. It doesn't wanna leave haha.

7. j/k/Andy macrumors regular

restore your system from the back-up you made just before installing Beta software the day it was released

8. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

I had similar issues, but... nothing that bad... its all luck of the draw :(

9. B@SS_SHOCK thread starter macrumors member

Well I actually make sure I do when installing Beta software or OS X Updates, and the one time I don't this happens. Well for now I think I'll use Adium and wait for a 3.0.1, hopefully it hasn't affected other apps otherwise I'll have to do a reinstall