Safari 3 Horror Story

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Zweben, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Zweben macrumors member

Zweben

Just like most of you, I went to download Safari 3 beta as soon as it was available. I opened the disk image and ran the installer. I didn't quit Safari before starting the install, but figured it wouldn't be a problem.

About 10 seconds in to the install, I got an error message that said something along the lines of "There has been an error in installing". Safari quit abruptly. The install process stopped in its tracks and I had to force quit the installer.

I tried to run the install again and it wouldn't even open. It quit before even bouncing once in the dock. Same after a restart. And another restart. And repairing permissions. So I tried to launch the old Safari. It showed a "?" over the icon; it was deleted.

Distraught, I tried to open iChat to tell a friend about my problem. iChat wouldn't launch. I tried all the apps in my dock.

Safari, iTunes, iChat, Adium, Coda, Mail, SubEthaEdit and Shiira are all dead, which basically covers all of my most commonly used apps.

I have a feeling WebKit was corrupted or deleted, along with who knows how many other vital system components. Fantastic.

To top it off though, my friend has my Tiger install disks.

Any suggestions, or should I just switch to Windows? I'm about that frustrated.

2. Zweben thread starter macrumors member

Zweben

Dude, I just got a Dell.

Never been happier in my life. I'm going to name my first born child Bill Gates.

3. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Just grab a copy of Camino or Firefox or one of the bazillion other browsers out there, and use that until you can clean up after yourself. You still have access to the Web since you've posted here, so this shouldn't be a big deal.
    The purchase of a new computer and operating system is always the most logical and economical course of action when basic precautions have been ignored prior to the installation of prerelease software.

4. cowm007 macrumors regular

I forgot to close Safari too before installing, but nothing bad came of it. It just crashed at some point and then I just restarted and I was on Beta 3. Maybe if you were using Safari while installing it might've had some concurrent file access problems or something. Either way, the beta keeps crashing on me so I'm back on regular Safari 2. If you do fix your problem, I don't recommend going back to the beta.

5. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Apple punishes pirates.

6. mpw Guest

I didn't back anything up, didn't close Safari or anything and it "just worked". Apple rocks

7. Zweben thread starter macrumors member

Zweben

I got it fixed by installing it manually with Pacifist.

8. Zweben thread starter macrumors member

Zweben

Not really. :)

And you're the one who's assuming he has them so he can pirate OS X. I don't really remember why he has them, but I think he needed to boot from it to fix his comp.

9. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Not the public, YET, but they have fired employees for downloading Leopard betas...

10. Masquerade macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

11. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

LOL

you forgot the part about how it must be:
    1. A more inefficient operating system that can do less
    2. An Uglier Computer
    3. The Prerealease must be within hours of the first public beta

Although if you have Parallels its funny to see Safari side by side in both environments...:D

12. Shanesan macrumors 6502

Shanesan

No offense guys, but none of you were being very helpful. :)

And what is Pacifist?

13. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Yeah, well, people who don't really know what they're doing shouldn't try to run beta software, and if they do, they shouldn't complain about it. ;)

--Eric

14. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

The OP stated his 10.4 disc not 10.5

Though your point is quite valid.

15. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

16. Am3822 macrumors 6502

Am3822

Here you go --