Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 28, 2007
Safari 3 unexpectedly quits when I close any window. This is the version I just got with the 10.4.11 update.

I have to say that I am getting sick of Apple products lately. The last new version of software I bought from Apple was iLife 08, and iPhoto is betaware. I have never seen bugs like that in retail software (I won't even go into the weirdness I've observed with that program, but I use Lightroom now). I waited for Safari 3 to mature into an official release, not jumping on the public beta, but it appears even the official release is a beta. I am sick of being Apple's beta tester. I think Apple is so concerned with growth that they're putting QC on the back burner, and that's going to burn them in the future.

Can anyone tell me how to revert to Safari 2?

Zuplar

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2007
i haven't had a single problem with either of those in leopard. that really sucks to hear you are having problems.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
I haven't had any problems either; it's running fine over here on 10.4.11.

You'd get better results here at MR, and a better reception for your problems, if you just started a thread with wanting to find out what's wrong with your install, rather than just saying 'x sucks' in a troll-like fashion.

Zuplar

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2007
i still use FF, just because i have used it so much in Windows, it's just what i am used to and it works.

cohibadad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2007
When people have problems like this I have to wonder if they ever call Apple support. Have you looked into the problem or do you just blame Safari and Apple and stop there? The behavior you describe is completely out of the realm of typical and I would suspect Apple could walk you through a solution.

jwt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 28, 2007
When people have problems like this I have to wonder if they ever call Apple support. Have you looked into the problem or do you just blame Safari and Apple and stop there? The behavior you describe is completely out of the realm of typical and I would suspect Apple could walk you through a solution.

I was pissed, so I forgot to mention that I tried many times to submit a bug report to Apple, but the "Send Report" button was grayed out 4 of the 5 times I tried to send it. Another bug? What else can I do at 10:30 at night? Seriously, defend Apple all you want. In the 15 years I've been an Apple loyalist, I've never had these kinds of problems. That's why I was loyal in the first place. I guess things change.

Anyway, I don't want to start a war. Can anyone tell me how to get back to Safari 2? I don't see it on apple.com anymore.

TuckBodi

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2007
Sounds like you may have a bad/corrupted fond or bad pref. There's some font tools out there that may help or you may have to go through them one by one. Try removing your pref first (move it to the desktop if you will) and see if that helps. With fonts, you can kinda do the same thing and see if there's a culprit.

slm

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2007
I've been running Firefox and Safari 3.0.4 side by side and Firefox seems to load any page about 2x faster than Safari. (on XP) Can anyone confirm this is true for Mac also? I've been reading everywhere, that Safari 3 is superfast, however my experience is rather opposite. It also uses 2x more memory than Firefox...

vanmacguy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2007
Not where you live.
Y'know, I didn't ask for Safari 3 to be included in the latest patch. But I installed the latest patch anyway.

And now, guess what stupid Safari 3 doesn't work! I type a full URL into the bar, or just a real name (like 'macr' for MacRumours - which has always worked), it completes the URL for me, I press Enter and... nothing. WTF? It works on my MBP but not my iMac. The only way I can get Safari to load the page is to type the URL and click the Refresh button. Helpful? No. Intuitive? No. Useful? Hell no!

Are these things not tested? I'm feeling like a Microsoft customer here. No tweaks, no customisations, nothing, but Safari no longer works like it used to.

What's going on? I'm beginning to feel like OP. It seems to be getting worse and worse lately.

jwt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 28, 2007
I reinstalled Safari 2 from the Tiger DVD. Problem solved.

slm

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2007
Y'know, I didn't ask for Safari 3 to be included in the latest patch. But I installed the latest patch anyway.

And now, guess what stupid Safari 3 doesn't work! I type a full URL into the bar, or just a real name (like 'macr' for MacRumours - which has always worked), it completes the URL for me, I press Enter and... nothing. WTF? It works on my MBP but not my iMac. The only way I can get Safari to load the page is to type the URL and click the Refresh button. Helpful? No. Intuitive? No. Useful? Hell no!

Are these things not tested? I'm feeling like a Microsoft customer here. No tweaks, no customisations, nothing, but Safari no longer works like it used to.

What's going on? I'm beginning to feel like OP. It seems to be getting worse and worse lately.

u have to type the full URL just the first time, then Safari remembers it. so type http://www.macrumors.com , hit enter and going fwd macr > enter should work fine.

jwt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 28, 2007

See? This is what I'm talking about. Apple is beginning to treat paying customers as beta testers. Their newer software is definitely incomplete, and they need to prioritize the rectification of this over finding new revenue channels.

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
See? This is what I'm talking about. Apple is beginning to treat paying customers as beta testers. Their newer software is definitely incomplete, and they need to prioritize the rectification of this over finding new revenue channels.

Why do i get the feeling that you weren't around for 10.0, 10.1, 10.2 etc...

vanmacguy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2007
Not where you live.
u have to type the full URL just the first time, then Safari remembers it. so type http://www.macrumors.com , hit enter and going fwd macr > enter should work fine.

Thanks for your response, but it's the Enter thing that's broken.

I can type macr and Safari does fill in the URL, but when I press Enter, nothing happens. I can type http://www.macrumors.com and press Enter and still nothing happens.

Once the URL has been typed in, I have to click the Page Refresh button to have it load.

It's very frustrating. I'm not quite sure what to do about it so tonight I'll download the update manually and reapply it.

The is the first Apple update that has burned me, I usually just accept and install them on faith, but no more. I'll be checking these forums first in future.

unknown87

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2007
See? This is what I'm talking about. Apple is beginning to treat paying customers as beta testers.

This just isn't true though. I'm using Safari 3 and 10.5.1 and I haven't had a single issue. I don't see how you can call this beta software when you are in a VERY small minority...

DesignerOnMac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2007
This just isn't true though. I'm using Safari 3 and 10.5.1 and I haven't had a single issue. I don't see how you can call this beta software when you are in a VERY small minority...

I have been using Safari since 10.2. I have to say that I have had NO issues with Safari. Seldom quits, pages load fast, there have only been a few sites quite some time ago that I could not access. Downloaded the 3 beta and still had NO issues.

Now in Leopard, is an even better browser! Just my 2 cents!

vanmacguy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2007
Not where you live.
I've been using it all the time too and have never had one single issue. Until now.

But I will fix this issue and continue on using it. I still think it's the best browser going, I'm just frustrated now that's all. It sounds like the OP has a long history of bad experiences though.

Cheers.

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
UK
If you have any plug-ins installed, like SpeedDownload, or SafariBlock, delete/uninstall them.

They should be in your User>Library>Input Manager folder.

I had this issue, deleted plug-ins, reset Safari and it's perfect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.