Safari 3 problem i think?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by harrrry, Aug 17, 2007.

1. harrrry macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have a powerbook g4 and i'm running tiger. I downloaded Safari 3b today. When I tried to install it the installer froze at the first few % of the installation progress bar. I had to force quit installer. I then tried to install it again and installer won't open. I restarted my computer after that and now when i go to click certain applications, they bounce once on my dock and do not open. For example: iTunes, iCal, Mail and installer will not open along with other random apps. I guess i'm lucky i can open my browser to ask this question. Can anyone help?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Create a new user account in System Preferences. Do the problems carry through? :)

3. harrrry thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright so I created a new account and the problems carried over. Is there another way other than re-installing tiger?

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Do you have much fee space on your drive? Maybe use Disk Utility to verify your drive, and repair if necessary. ;)

5. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

Also if you do not have your Tiger install disc for you comptuer you can boot into single user mode and run a file system check.

fsck in Single User mode:
    1. Restart computer holding command+S :)apple: +S).
    2. When the white text stops type without the quotes "fsck -fy"
    3. Press Return.
    4. After the computer has finished checking the File System it will tell you if the file system is in need of repair or is if the disk is ok.
    5. type "reboot" and press return to restart.

EDIT: This step is also in the Apple Article mad jew recommended.