Safari 3 still sucks

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jwt, Dec 3, 2007.

1. jwt macrumors 6502

You may have read my earlier post, where I described Safari unexpectedly quitting upon closing any Safari window. Nobody was able to offer a solution, and I only found one more case via google.

So I went back to Safari 2. Everything worked great again except the google search contextual menu item. I reinstalled 10.4.11 from the stand alone installer, hoping for a different outcome. Safari 3 still crashed. After checking the error log, it seemed some files were missing.

I then did a clean Tiger install (archive and install), followed by the 10.4.11 update. I opened Safari and closed a window and it unexpectedly quit, on a fresh system. I stand by my original opinion that Safari 3 is a buggy piece of crap. Flame on!

2. rijiMacDij macrumors regular

I originally installed the beta on MBP SR, 10.4.10/11 and really liked it except for the crashing, but 2 did that all the time at first.

I un-installed 3 beta because I tracked it down to be the cause of CS3 borking the whole show, then finally got a stable installation of CS3 Web Premium. When I ran Software Update and it automatically installed the release version of Safari 3 I was worried that it would conflict with CS3 again but haven't had a single problem since...(touch wood)

3. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

4. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

Works fine here, too. Repair permissions and your problems may go away

5. MacAddict1978 macrumors 65816

i have no issues under leopard, and prior to my 10.5 upgrade, the last 10.4 update that forced it on me had no issues either.

Do you have any renegade plug-ins or adds on your system??

6. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

7. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I hope Safari 4 provides information on why it crashes or running slow for people that have these issues. There has to be a reason why it is so good for some people and others have nothing but problems.

8. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

The crash reporter that pops up when an application crashes does provide significant information on what caused it. It's just a bit tricky to interpret. Sadly, I don't know of any way to automatically interpret crashlogs... it'd make my life a lot easier ;)

9. kaeckisthename macrumors member

never had a problem like that and I'm still running Tiger

10. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

On my iBook, it's fine. "fine" does not mean a good browser, but it seems to work.

11. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

OK: works perfectly here on 10.4.11, not a single crash, a lot faster than Safari 2, a few nifty new/improved features. Not much of a flame, sorry. :) Maybe it's your computer that sucks, not Safari.

--Eric

12. mr.light macrumors 6502

I had trouble running Safari 3 when it was first released. I had to delete all 3rd party plugins to get it to run. No trouble with the latest version though. Running it on my iBook G4 under 10.4.11. I prefer it to Firefox even though Firefox has some really nifty plugins and add-ons. :)

13. TheStu macrumors 65816

Almost no problems whatsoever with Safari 3.0.4 on 10.5.1. In fact the combination of the two has given me a really stable browsing experience. I had to quit Safari recently due to an AdBlock update, but past that, no need to ever quit for days. :)

The new Firefox 3 beta does look interesting though. If they can finally make a browser that has all the features of Firefox, and the OS integration of Safari, then I will switch, until then, I will use Safari.

14. huck500 macrumors 6502

huck500

Out of three computers with Leopard installed, Safari on all of them no longer remembers passwords and can't access certain password-protected sites. The problem didn't exist under Tiger, and it's not a Keychain problem, Camino and every other browser is fine. It just happened out of the blue, maybe around the time of the update. Apple has apparently acknowledged the bug, and are working on it. Repairing permissions didn't help, nor did deleting the keychain items.

I'd ask for help, but at this point I'm used to Camino and will probably stick with it.

15. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

16. Rojo024 macrumors member

Speaking of Safari Problems, I am running Safari 3.0.4 in 10.5.1 on a Macbook Pro Core duo, and safari will stop loading or hang up in the middle of loading a webpage. The only way I can get it to work is if I repeatedly reload until it does not hang up.

This morning I was trying to buy an airline ticket but was have so much trouble getting pages to load, that I had to revert to using old Toshiba to get the job done. Very annoying.

Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions?

17. connectcctv@mac macrumors newbie

Same issue here on all 4 macs in house ( All running 10.5.1 Clean installs) Safari will hang whilst loading a page. Given up on it for the time been, Now using Camino. his works very well. Come on apple sort it out

Attached Files:

18. Eluzion macrumors 6502

I've had the same problem with Safari where it seems to stop loading a page and you have to click reload a few times for the page to finally show up.

That and the huge memory leak issue. I've been using Safari for about 3 hours and it's up to 860mb of physical memory used. :eek:

19. Thi macrumors member

I've been a FF user for years now. I just made the switch yesterday to leopard after finding plugins that gave me the same usability as FF. My plugins are:
    1. Pithhelmet
    2. inquisitor
    I also tried to install twicetab but it doesn't work with Safari 3. Besides this function everything is as it should. I've also been using FF 3 beta since it was released. Safari is much faster than FF 3. Loading of safari to web pages to Java everything seems to work much faster.

This is from someone that has been waiting for Safari to bypass FF. Its finally better!

20. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

PlugSuit will let you use Twicetab :)

21. PhotoPhoenix macrumors member

PhotoPhoenix

i'm a leopard user and my Safari has been hanging a lot actually. it works great when it works but it mainly hangs when i'm closing it. i report every problem to apple in hopes of a Safari update soon..

22. TheStu macrumors 65816

It would be a shame if you went and paid for PithHelmet (it is still for-pay is it not?) since Safari-AdBlock is free and blocks 99% of the ads out there. I am not at all associated with it, but am simply really impressed with the quality of it considering that it is so small, unobtrusive and free. Oh yea, and was one of the first to work on both Safari 3 and Leopard.

23. freebooter macrumors 65816

freebooter

I just checked my Safari. Safari 3! WTF!!! I thought I ditched the b!tch months ago!
    Must have been a recent s.w. update, too. Oh well, seems to work alright on my iMac 24" white, Tiger. :rolleyes:

24. TheStu macrumors 65816

It installs automatically with 10.4.11, and of course, 10.5.x