Safari 3

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by elppa, Oct 23, 2007.

1. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

As you well know, Safari 3 comes out of beta officially this Friday and will ship as part of Mac OS X 10.5.

Presumably it will come out of beta on Windows at some point in the not to distant future too and be available on Vista and XP.

My question is, will Tiger users ever see a final Safari 3? It It would be nice if Apple pushed it out to all users via software update, much like Microsoft sent out IE 7 as a priority upgrade to all XP users.

I don't see this happening on the Mac. The reason? A historical precedent has been set — Panther (10.3) users never got Safari 2, instead they got left 1.3.

A lot of people won't upgrade to Leopard straight away, yet would probably like the latest version of Safari. Also, for folks with the 800 MHz G4s it seems unfair that they can't run the latest version of Apple's web browser. They would have to seek alternatives like Firefox and Camino, reducing Safari's market share.

There is a lot of talk about Boot Camp coming out of beta and needing to upgrade, but I have seen little to no talk on Safari.

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I think that Panther didn't get Safari 2 because it didn't happen the supporting frameworks. however we know that Tiger can handle Safari 3 so unless the have massively updated it to no longer be compatible i think Tiger users will get it.

3. pdjudd macrumors 601

I would assume so

However Safari 3 is in beta that (as far as I am aware) doesn't expire. I really doubt that Apple would just leave Tiger user in the dark especially since the beta already works for tiger already.

Bootcamp is different it was a beta product that was going to expire. And you can still boot into windows even if the beta expires - you can't get newer drivers though..

4. elppa thread starter macrumors 68040

elppa

From what I heard at the time Safari 1.3 was extremely close to the version 2 which shipped with Tiger, so that would rule out underlying frameworks answer.

I heard someone suggest they were almost identical apart from the RSS support.

I would hope that as it has been proved Safari three can run on Tiger it is supported. It would be a bit much supporting an Windows OS released in 2001 but dropping support for a Mac OS released in 2005.

5. elppa thread starter macrumors 68040

elppa

Maybe releases for Windows and Tiger to follow this week coming?

6. elppa thread starter macrumors 68040

elppa

Still not here over three weeks after the final version shipped with Leopard, I wonder whether Apple intends to leave 10.4.x users with the Public Beta?

Windows users will presumably get the final version at some stage.