safari 4.0.1 and new tab oddity

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by flapperdink, Jun 30, 2009.

1. flapperdink macrumors member

i've noticed something quite odd with safari and the opening of a new tab (done via cmd+t). also, my homepage is set to google.com.

so here's the issue: if i have only one tab open and i use the cmd+t to open a second tab, the selected field will default to the address bar...but when i open a subsequent tab (i.e. third, fourth, fifth, etc.) then the selected field will default to the google search engine input field.

now this may seem like a moot point, but it drives me insane. i usually only have one tab open and when i have something else i want to run a search on, i open a new tab using cmd+t then start typing away and press return. the only issue is that when i do this for the second tab it defaults to the address bar.

anyone else run into this? i don't if this is how safari has always been since i've only really started using it on 4. i've been a FF guy before and FF would always default to the google search engine input field.

it's not necessarily a defect, but just an oddity that interferes with my normal routine of using a web browser. it bugs me.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I can report that this does not happen to me.

3. flapperdink thread starter macrumors member

that's weird. i tested this many of times. completely closing safari and opening a new session...same results every time. :confused:

i know these mac apps are fairly customizable via terminal...is there any way possible to force the selected field on opening a new tab? i'm assuming the answer to be 'no' but i guess it's worth asking.