Safari 4.0.1 Can't Handle GIFs?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Minimoose 360, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

Apparently so. I have had no troubles with it before the update...now I get beach ballin' whenever theres more than one or two animated GIFs on a web page. Everything else seems to be working fine. Any other users experiencing this as well?

2. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

I've always had trouble with GIF's on my Mac. Safari, Firefox.. any of em. It's the ONLY problem i have with my iMac. Weird. :(

3. se7eren macrumors newbie

Same problem here too. Beach balling ever since I had my Mac. It's just something I live with! :(

4. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

Safari has never been able to handle GIFs. If you want good performance with GIFs, use Firefox.

5. Canubis macrumors regular

Canubis

Are you serious?

Are you serious? You can't display GIF images in Safari? Is this a joke? Sorry, this shall absolutely not sound offending, but I don't trust my eyes reading this.
    We have 2009, can fly to the moon for about 40 years and download HD movies in a few hours, but there really is a problem displaying one of the oldest graphic formats in the world?

I've just tried to display an animted gif in Safair 4.0.2 on Windows and everything worked fine (don't have a Mac at my hands now). But I also can't remember having any problems with GIFs the recent years, except in the very early Safari version where have been issues if the same animated gif was used several time on a page: only the first one was animted these times.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Can your camera take daguerreotype photographs? Does your house connect to a DC power plant? Do you ride to work on horseback?

Just because it's old doesn't mean it's good, and just because it "can" be supported doesn't mean it "should."

7. Meek Wriggle macrumors member

I've also had problems with GIFs in Safari 4. It seems Safari can only handle one or two GIFs on a page but any more and it really struggles to load them.

8. jon08 macrumors 65816

Yep, pretty much same here...

9. Minimoose 360 thread starter macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

Well it DOES display them lol. I'm just saying I go on these other forums and /b/ newfags (pardon) post witty "internets" memes which consist of many animated GIF images per page. And I'm pretty sure my 2.93GHz 4GB RAM is supposed to handle it, but the software just isn't there.

Also HD Youtube sucks on Mac as well, no matter if I have the 9600M on or not. But HD video files play more than perfectly on just the 9400M, it's just lacking compatibility.

10. Ashka macrumors 6502a

Ashka

I may be wrong but I have always understood .GIF to be a proprietary format that Apple did not buy into.:apple:

Gif info from Wiki:
    Controversy over the licensing agreement between the patent holder, Unisys, and CompuServe in 1994 spurred the development of the Portable Network Graphics (PNG) standard; since then all the relevant patents have expired.

11. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

Apple has always been pushing the PNG standard. That still doesn't make up for the fact that Safari is horrible when it comes to animated GIFs. That is really the only problem with Safari.

12. Jisuo macrumors 6502

I read it was somekind if bug/problem with webkit (don't remember exactly what) but it had been fixed in snow leopard.