Safari 4.0.3 download issues

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sensibilita, Apr 18, 2010.

1. sensibilita macrumors newbie

sensibilita

I have one problem I can't solve. When I'm downloading, say, PDF files in Safari (4.0.3), at times it will download IN the browser itself, at other times to the 'Download' folder ... I can't seem to control when it does whatever it does; it seems entirely random. When it downloads IN the browser, it slows everything down, so I want to enable it to ALWAYS download to the folder instead (meaning I can do multiple downloads concurrently without slowing things down to a crawl on 1 GB Ram ...).

How do I twig that? Would appreciate any suggestions.

Cheers,

2. bluskale macrumors regular

I'm not sure how to force it to download all the time... however, the default pdf viewer in safari is no resource hog... works fine for me on a 1.5ghz G4 with 1 gb of ram (and I look at a LOT of PDFs of research papers)... are you using the adobe pdf viewer plugin perhaps? try removing that and see if your pdf-viewing experience improves.

Also, update your web browser.

3. sensibilita thread starter macrumors newbie

sensibilita

Thank you for the tips .... I got rid of the PDF Viewer plug-in, but that didn't make a difference, alas.

I have nevertheless a feeling that it has something to do with PDF files: for whenever I download a Powerpoint, on the other hand, it reverts to the much faster 'Download' folder. And yes, in my case, since I download sizable files, it does hog system-resources, whereas with the EX-browser download I can run 5 or 6 or 7 sizable downloads in parallel, without slowing the system down.

Updating the web-browser? As I said, I'm using Safari 4.0.3 ... now there's version 4.0.5 ... I doubt that it would make any difference .... :apple:

Cheers,

4. bluskale macrumors regular

you could try using firefox... by default it has no pdf viewing capabilities, last I tried

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

If you hold Option will clicking a link to a PDF (or any other file, for that matter) it'll force a download.

Usually Safari will default to rendering the PDF inside the browser, however the site can override that and force a download.

6. sensibilita thread starter macrumors newbie

sensibilita

Hi guys .... thanks for the tips!! The Firefox option is working very nicely, even though the browser itself is much slower, it seems ...

The Option-click I had tried, albeit unsuccessfully, before ... it couldn't force the downloads in Safari, alas ... I am doing a bit of downloading in SCRIBD, and so the in-browser file-sizes slow things down considerably, to the point where I really cannot do anything else (on 1 GB MacBook RAM) ... whereas EX-browser downloads allow me to do a little multi-tasking ....

Thank you again!

Cheers,

7. sensibilita thread starter macrumors newbie

sensibilita

I take back my commendatory comments regarding Firefox .... it is too sloooooooooow by half ... had to abandon that; flying again with Safari ...:confused: