Safari 4.0.3 installation in Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Donut4000, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Donut4000 macrumors member

Donut4000

I didn't expect to have compatibility issues with this combination, but I am stuck. I was experiencing some small problems with Safari after upgrading: downloads would launch a new empty tab rather than an actual download, and I would get graphical glitches loading pages from top tabs - so I uninstalled Safari and downloaded a new copy. However, on re-installing, I get a message informing me that I need at least MacOS 10.5.8 installed...
    Has anyone else found this? I did an upgrade install of Snow Leopard, and other than a few 3rd party apps being caught out, all is well, and I am enjoying an otherwise noticeably nippier system. As Safari was working previously (unsurprisingly), perhaps this problem stems from an OS compatibility flag within the Safari installer itself, similar to that found in 1Password recently, that could be altered within the installer package to allow installation - But I am guessing, and I don't see why I am having this issue in the first place given the amount of testing of Safari leading up to Snow Leopard.

Any thoughts so suggestions from you wise people would be welcome. :)

2. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

Safari in Snow Leopard isn't the same as the Leopard version. It's a 64bit app for starters.

I'd try doing a clean install of Snow Leopard. Make sure you have a backup (preferably 2) of all your files.

3. Marimoman macrumors newbie

Safari is also an optional install on SL Disk

Open up the Optional Install folder on the SL disk. Work through the Installer and you should find Safari as well as the standard apps in the Apps Folder. Hope this does the trick.

4. Donut4000 thread starter macrumors member

Donut4000

A clean install would certainly provide a level playing field for ruling out inherited problems - but I'm sure you would agree that it is a more involving solution than the quick fix answer I am fishing for..:rolleyes:
    I wasn't aware that there were differences as you mention between the safari in leopard and snow leopard - I thought 4.0.3 was universal. I remain hopefull I won't have to re-install my OS to suit a browser...back to Opera for the moment.

5. Donut4000 thread starter macrumors member

Donut4000

I hadn't thought of digging through the installer disc Marimoman...This will go on the top of my list of things to try when I get out of work this evening.

6. Donut4000 thread starter macrumors member

Donut4000

Cheers Marimoman - the version on the DVD worked fine. :)

7. Marimoman macrumors newbie

8. stcato macrumors newbie

Safari download problems in Snow Leopard

In Leopard everything was fine but now when I try to download in Safari I simply get a black screen - I tried downloading in Firefox and it simply crashes - but surprisingly it works fine in Opera
    Anyone got any ideas or do I have to make Opera my default browser ?

Have tried repairing permissions, restarting, reinstalling Snow Leopard but all to no avail :(

9. jlbrown macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problems.

Do you use Speed Download? I'm using it (v5.0.0) but don't know if it is the problem or not.

10. nigels0 macrumors member

Yes, that's the problem - you have to uninstall it:

http://www.yazsoft.com/f/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=864

And then re-install it.