Safari 4.0.5 installation failed - no more webkit!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by plaidhippo, Mar 17, 2010.

1. plaidhippo macrumors member

Hi everyone,
    This morning my macbook pro prompted me to install the recent safari 4.0.5 update. I have installed this on two other macs and had no problems. So I allowed the install. It froze mid install for over 30 minutes, saying "running installer scripts", but nothing seemed to be happening. I had no choice but to do a hard power down. After restarting and repairing permissions, I have found that any software (safari and many more) that use the webkit code simply will not work, including apple's own software update, microsoft entourage, and many other little programs. This is what it says in the error report.

Dyld Error Message:
    Library not loaded: /System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework/Versions/A/WebKit
    Referenced from: /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/MacOS/Safari
    Reason: image not found

Thankfully firefox still works, so i downloaded the appropriate version of safari from the web and tried to install it, but the installer tells me that "the volume does not meet the requirements for this update"! Can anyone please help me to resolve and reinstall safari and webkit asap? I am at work and need access to my email and safari as well!

Thanks,
    Ashish

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

OK. Two nights ago, I installed Safari 4.0.5 on my Early 2009 17" MacBook Pro is Software Update. The installation went without incident. The updated browser works as expected.

Yours is a rare event. Rare events usually imply unique circumstances. What, if anything, unusual happened during your update of Safari? For example, do you have any haxies installed?

3. plaidhippo thread starter macrumors member

Hello,
    Thanks for the quick response. I don't have anything special applied. This is a work laptop but I been told to use standard apple updates and everything has been fine so far with this process. I updated my two home computers to 4.0.5 with no incidents.

Here, during the installation, it seemed to have frozen for over half an hour. So, I did a hard power off. I restarted and it was able to come back to life as if nothing ever happened. However, all apps based on webkit (safari, iphoto, itunes, microsoft entourage and messenger) are not working due to the error previously mentioned. So while I am sure that the only thing "special" about my situation is that I had to kill the installation, the question now is how I can get webkit and safari reinstalled. Again, anyone's help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
    Ashish

4. plaidhippo thread starter macrumors member

Problem Solved -- reinstall 10.5.8, then Safari!

Hi all,
    Thanks for the kind folks who replied, both privately and here. I got a tip which I tried out that seems to have fixed my issue. I downloaded the 10.5.8 combo update from apple directly (>700mb!). Installed that, restarted, then installed the safari 4.0.5 update gotten directly from Apple's web site. That installation went smoothly in a matter of minutes, and after another restart, I was back online with a fully functional version of Safari and all other apps relying on webkit (entourage, ilife, others) appear to be working correctly again!

Thanks all!

Ashish

5. BobZune macrumors 6502a

Glad that worked. Thanks for the updating the thread -- it might help someone else with the same problem in the future.