Safari 4.0 final new tab shortcut?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jsdc2005, Jun 11, 2009.

1. jsdc2005 macrumors member

I apologize if this has been discussed perhaps to death already.

Say what you will about the beta's tabs on top, it was easy to open a new, blank tab - the upper right hand corner of the window had a plus sign, and you could click it and open a tab containing the "top sites." Safari help is still written with the assumption you can do this (meaning, even in the final Safari's help on this question, it talks about a plus sign in the upper right hand corner). But in final 4.0, this plus sign is gone. I know about command-T. I also know that once you have multiple tabs open you can double-click in the tab bar, or you also get the "plus" button to add more tabs. But is there a mouse or gesture only way to open a new tab in safari 4?

Thanks, and again sorry if this was answered already.

2. Jisuo macrumors 6502

I have multiclutch installed and it allows me to register 3-finger swipes to do whatever I want in any program. After you have installed it you find it in System Preferences.

http://wcrawford.org/2008/02/28/everytime-i-think-about-you-i-touch-my-cell/

I added Safari (and Firefox before that) and chose:

3 finger swipe down = CMD+T (new tab)
    3 finger swipe up = CMD+W (close tab or window if it's the only tab open)

Already supported in Safarai by default:

3 finger swipe left = Back
    3 finger swipe right = Forward

Together all this makes surfing awesome! :D

Like this:

Attached Files:

3. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Go to View -> Customize Tool Bar and add the New Tab button to the tool bar.

[​IMG]

4. mugtastic macrumors regular

mugtastic

the plus is still there, just make tab bar visible.

Attached Files:

5. jsdc2005 thread starter macrumors member

Cool, thanks everyone. All good suggestions. Mugtastic, is there a way to make the tab bar visible without having at least two tabs open? I don't get it (and hence no plus sign) when I have just one tab open.

Thanks again.

6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

With only one tab open, go to View --> Show Tab Bar. From then on, the Tab Bar should always be visible, regardless of whether you have multiple tabs open or not.

Or just go with xraydoc's suggestion of adding the New Tab button to the toolbar.

7. jsdc2005 thread starter macrumors member