Safari 4 a big step back?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macagain, Jul 11, 2009.

1. macagain macrumors regular

Been using Safari 4 since beta. the ga version seems to be a big step back. Pages are taking longer to load, the loading indicator stays dark gray quite a bit. generally less snappy than safari 3, or even the beta.

anyone else with the same experience?

2. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

I do notice it on a few image-loaded webpages, but I'm sure it's just AT&T being AT&T. I do think the UI is a little bit of a disappointment; I was looking forward to the tabs on top. :rolleyes:

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

There are a LOT of active threads on this
    If you use MRoogle to search, you will find a lot of opinions

You can try resetting Safari under the Safari menu

I have not experienced the problems you list

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

4. TheYellowAudi macrumors member

TheYellowAudi

DFW, but could be anywhere on the planet.
    I wonder if Safari 4 isn't optimized for & in anticipation of Snow Leopard, thereby not running efficiently on Leopard. (?). Just a blind guess on my part.

5. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

It's going to have some new technology in Snow Leopard. Hopefully with that new technology, they will upgrade the UI. :)

6. Cinder6 macrumors 6502

Cinder6

Yeah, it runs poorly for me, as well. I've not tried the resetting option, but I moved to Stainless. If you don't care about no autofill or topsites, it's really nice. Parallel sessions, too. It also scores nearly 1200 higher than Safari on Peacekeeper (better in SunSpider, too, but this is easier to visualize).

[​IMG]

I've not tested them all since installing new RAM yesterday. Stainless gets 200 more, so it's not that huge of a difference.

7. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

that number will need to be divided by 100,000-1,000,000 to get a number in ms.

whatever js speed difference out there, will be overwhelmed by other factors. think about it, just look at those numbers, you would think safari 4 is 3 times faster than safari 3. Who actually feel that? How about OP actually feel opposite?

Number should always come with context.