Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brsboarder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2004
So, is it possible for the address bar "top hit" or "history" to recognize part of a web address if you don't start with it?

For example.
In firefox, when I start typing macrumors, I get forums.macrumors, macrumors....

However in safari, I just get macrumors.com

This is rather annoying, any ideas?

Catcufflings

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2009
New Zealand
i actually want to stop anything from starting to come up when i type into the address bar.. it's so annoying. even after i delete all my history and put the browser onto private browsing, it still comes up.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
i actually want to stop anything from starting to come up when i type into the address bar.. it's so annoying. even after i delete all my history and put the browser onto private browsing, it still comes up.
Im very glad to inform you that you will be very happy with firefox 3.5, you can try 3.5 beta for now. Settings are added such that you can turn it off completely.

I do want to add that I suspect most people do like the awesome bar feature tho

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    22.9 KB · Views: 70

brsboarder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2004
I like firefox a lot more in general, however, safari is just much quicker now

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
I like firefox a lot more in general, however, safari is just much quicker now

speed depends on many issues, I do not believe there is significant differences among different modern browsers in terms of speed of surfing internet. Individual experiences might vary tho.

if you feel like, create a brand new profile will improve firefox's performance, IF you have been using it for ages and went through multiple updates.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.