Safari 4 and Autofill Passwords

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Bedawyn, Aug 22, 2009.

1. Bedawyn macrumors regular

Okay, so far I'm not impressed at all with Safari 4, but this might be the dealbreaker for me. I'm fairly positive that in the Autofill tab, I used to be able to press a button that would show the passwords for each username login, that are usually hidden. In fact, the Help Viewer still says that you can. Now, though, there are only buttons for "Remove" and "Done" -- nothing to show the passwords. Is there some hidden way to get them to show again? Since the reason I need them is to get into sites on Firefox that I'm only using because Safari isn't working well on them, this does not make me happy.

2. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

Try looking in your Keychain. The logins and passwords that Safari uses should be stored there.

3. Nugget macrumors 68000

Nugget

MacManiac76 is correct. Run the "Keychain Access" app in your Applications/Utilities/ folder. All your web passwords from safari are stored in there. You'll have to type you account password to decrypt/view the password.

If you're interested in a more flexible password caching solution it's hard to beat 1Password. It's not cheap, but it's worth every penny. I couldn't live without it. It has plugins for Firefox and Safari so you end up with a unified password manager across all your browsers (and many other apps, and your iPhone if you've got one) and can easily store multiple logins for the same site and generate secure passwords. It's awesome.

4. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

Gotta agree with the 1Password solution too. I have it and love it. Makes dealing with the seemingly endless list of logins and passwords one has to manage quite easy.