Safari 4 and Flash!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dance2noise002, Sep 12, 2009.

1. dance2noise002 macrumors member

Is there anyway to kill Flash ads in Safari 4 on pages such as Youtube? Because every day when I browse onto Youtube there is an ad that hangs the entire browser. Not just Safari 4 but every browser! It's incredibly annoying! HELP!

2. ymarker macrumors member

FF + adblock.

Though with osx 10.6 there are occasional crashes on both safari /FF

3. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

yes. Click2Flash is perfect for this. It also forces Youtube to show you the h264 versions of videos instead of the crappier low-res versions.

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Try reinstalling Flash. So far, only the inferior Firefox has crashed (Flash or no Flash). Safari hangs for a few seconds (due to the new plug in kill feature) but that's it.

Safari > Firefox.

5. ryguy2303 macrumors 6502

ryguy2303

click2flash rocks

6. dance2noise002 thread starter macrumors member

My Safari and Firefox still crash on Youtube everytime ... the only way around it is if I disable Javascript! WTF!

7. gothamm macrumors 6502a

please dont start this. keep your fanboyism in check.

8. bigdaddymac macrumors regular

I had the same problem after downloading 10.6.1. To solve:

I went to the flash website, downloaded the latest version, closed Safari, restarted my mac, and then re-opened Safari. Flash worked fine again.

See if that will work for you.

Incredibly annoying that Apple pushes out an update that causes this problem, with no explanation of how to fix it.

9. broken-chaos macrumors regular

broken-chaos

For reference, the ClickToFlash that has been mentioned several times. Works great to prevent the SL flash problems when they're being caused by ads or unnecessary Flash objects.

10. Scallywag macrumors regular

+1

This is my favorite plug-in for Safari

11. walala macrumors member

So when Macrumors posted the article saying that Snow Leopard downgraded our flash version I went to the Adobe site and installed the latest version. No problems. Then I installed 10.6.1 and shortly after I began having serious issues with all browsers (Firefox, Safari, etc). I would open the browser up, go to pretty much any site, and the browser would hang and I'd have to force quit. It happened over and over and over.

Anyway, I followed your instructions and reinstalled Adobe flash and I haven't had any issues since.

Thanks