Safari 4 and processor usage

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by vansouza, Mar 2, 2009.

1. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

Right now my processors are pinned at 99 and 100% and a look at Activity Monitor shows 6 processes, relating to my safari boot page.. you know with the small web shot pages... Strange thing is that the temp and fans are not going up... The processes are called Safari Webpage Preview.. Its been running for about 6 min so far... wondering?

2. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

Have you checked the Dashboard for the offending widgets?

3. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Safari Webpage Preview handles fetching the snapshots for the "top pages" display.

4. vansouza thread starter macrumors 68000

vansouza

Yes, it does and that is what is pinning the processor, but why for such a long time... I have yet to see it pop back to normal.

5. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

I'm guessing that each Preview process is calling Webkit to render the page and display it in that interface.

One of them (or more) probably experienced a problem with the page that froze the process, causing it to run at 100%. Just quit Safari and/or restart.

6. vansouza thread starter macrumors 68000

vansouza

Booted to the Snow Leopard partition for a while and came back to Leopard and now it is ok... I did try rebooting earlier with no joy. But joy now.

7. vansouza thread starter macrumors 68000

vansouza

Thanks for your help but quitting Safari does not help... only rebooting solves the issue... which is a bit of a bother.

8. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

I get it sometimes in Safari 3.x

Between 150% and 300% cpu usage until I close the window (if possible) or quit the app. I have no idea why. It happens about once in ever 100 hours of use. I can go back to the same page right after restarting Safari and it's fine. Weird.

Sometimes it does it for a much shorter time (about 1min.) and then asks me if it's OK to open some font on a non-system drive partition. <shrug>