Safari 4 auto-close DL manager + auto-open-in-new-tab?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MatchFrame, Oct 8, 2009.

1. MatchFrame macrumors member

First, I am fully aware of the two plug-ins that have both of these features. SafariStand and Glims. I'd prefer not to use SafariStand, and I don't want to use Glims (buggy). I'm not here to debate their merits.

The features I want are for Safari's download manager to close automatically, and for all links to automatically open in new tabs.

What I'm wondering is: are there any other plug-ins that offer these features for Safari 4 running Snow Leopard?

Are there any tweaks to the system that don't involve plug-ins? As in, are there some terminal commands that can emulate these settings somehow?

2. devburke Guest

I can’t confirm that this works for SL, but this should solve the tabs thing:

Code:
    defaults write com.apple.Safari TargetedClicksCreateTabs -bool true

3. Erunno macrumors newbie

Easiest way to achieve both and getting access to a slew of other features is by using Glims.

Incidentally, when Steve says that you don't need this feature then you don't need it otherwise your allegiance to Apple's cause is questionable. We'll be watching you from now on for signs of more disloyal behaviour...

4. MatchFrame thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies. Going to try the terminal command for the tabs.

I tried Glims before I even posted this originally, but noticed that I was getting visual glitches on my tab bar (even though I wasn't using any of the special tab features). Often when creating a new tab, the edges will glitch and be incomplete or blend together. Sometimes it even looks like I have two "active" tabs in the foreground. This really annoyed me, so I uninstalled Glims.

Now it looks like the tab visual glitch has stuck around after uninstalling, which infuriates me. Are any non-Glims users experiencing this? Does anybody have a solution?

I even uninstalled and reinstalled Safari 4 from the SL disc, but the glitch is stlll there. Any ideas?

SafariStand may end up being what I use, but I still have the tab glitch that's seriously irking me.

5. Bostonaholic macrumors 6502

Bostonaholic

That worked amazingly well for me! Thanks! I've been searching for a way to fix that. I hated how opening links in gmail was opening in a new window even though I had preferences set to 'open new links in a new tab'.

Again, thank you so much devburke!

side note: I'm new to this whole mac thing so I need to learn these sort of tweaks. Coming from the Linux world, I'm used to tweaking internals like that.

6. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

7. MatchFrame thread starter macrumors member

I'll look over Saft and see it's worth the $12. So I guess only the auto-open-in-tab has a Terminal solution? Nothing for the ever-irritating download window?

Also, I heard back from the Glims developers. The tabs visual glitch is a known issue they've been try to solve for the last two weeks. Says they've almost figured it out. His solution to get rid of the glitch after uninstalling is to restart the computer, but this didn't work (for me, at least).