Safari 4 beta, mail.app, imap email not appearing in inbox.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hogprint, Feb 27, 2009.

1. hogprint macrumors regular

hogprint

I have read through the posting regarding mail.app crashing with safari 4 beta. I am NOT having this problem. i have the latest updates on my 10.5.6 uni MBP. I am using growl and have followed the Safari 4 beta work around and have installed the latest updates.

What is occurring is new email to either of the IMAP accounts (1 gmail, one .edu account) I have is not showing in my inbox. The mail is arriving and will show in my all mail folder, or a web based interface, but not the mail.app inbox. Neither the combined inbox or each respective accounts exclusive inbox. Removing Safari 4 beta solves the problem. I can live without the beta but I am wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same issue and if so, have you solved it?

Cheers..................N

2. cledantec macrumors newbie

same problem, no joy

i am having the same issue on basically the same setup 10.5.6 mbp though i don't use growlmail or any other mail plugins. i wasn't able to turn up any solutions after poking around the net last night -you're the first person who has reported the same problem. i filed a bug in Safari 4 and then uninstalled the beta to get my inbox back.

the only plugin i use is 1password and i updated that to the version that works with the beta. beyond that, it's not clear what might be causing the issue.

3. hogprint thread starter macrumors regular

hogprint

i too filed a bug report. i went so far as to remove growl in attempt to fix the situation but it did not work. something in the beta is impeding the delivery of imap mail to the inbox. weird.

4. cledantec macrumors newbie

a solution

i seemed to have fixed the delivery problem on my end. i did have a mail plugin (proximail) in the system /Library/Mail/Bundles folder -it was also in the "Bundles (disabled)" folder. i removed both to the trash and it seems to be working. last night i didn't think to look in the system Library folder and i can't remember where proximail came from but it seems i don't need it.

that said, it's still not 'right'. the title bar of mail.app says my inbox has 0 messages but there are 13 messages in the box. so something still isn't updating correctly. at least now the mail does turn up.

5. hogprint thread starter macrumors regular

hogprint

i'll try removing that bundle as well. it is also present on my machine

6. hogprint thread starter macrumors regular

hogprint

removed the proximail bundle and installed the updated growl stuff and all is well. i have no idea what proximail is but it does not play well with safari 4 beta.

7. SouthernMac macrumors member

Same problem here except mail retrieves my mails, but won't say that they have been checked unless I manually check them. For instance, if I get an email in gmail and then check it in gmail, it still says I have 1 new email in mail.app. Removing Safari 4 did not fix this problem.

8. stevecopley macrumors newbie

Thank goodness I'm not alone!

Hi

I was beginning to think that my non-working IMAP inbox was unique to me. Good to see I'm not alone (or rather, bad for all of us!). I hadn't made the Safari 4 connection, but yes... that's exactly when my problem began as well.

I disabled (moved) the following bundles from /Library:

- ProxiMail (what is that?)

And my inbox began updating once more!

But... boom! Mail consistently crashed

So I also removed the bundles I had in ~/Library:

- Growl Mail
    - LetterBox

And now all is well - no crashes and an up-to-date inbox

Phew!

But... There is obviously something amiss with Safari 4 / Mail / Bundles

Please let me know (via this thread) if you hear anything new about this issue. Until then, it's a bundle-less mail.app for me (I miss LetterBox already!)

Cheers

Steve C.

UPDATE...

I've put LetterBox back and Mail is still stable, so that's not the issue - it is prob. Growl.

Also, FYI, ProxiMail is left over from when I tried out Proxi - an app that lets you define events for triggers such as key events, etc.

9. hogprint thread starter macrumors regular

hogprint

10. stevecopley macrumors newbie

Thanks

Hi

That's great to know - I now have GrowlMail reinstalled and working (with summaries only)

:D

Thanks for the tip

SC