SAFARI 4 BETA vs. SAFARI 4 FINAL

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GITANAJAVA, Jul 13, 2009.

1. GITANAJAVA macrumors regular

GITANAJAVA

I like Safari 4 Beta, with the Pointum tweaks, very much and I'm really not keen to switch to Safari 4 Final. I have the style and functions I want, plus 4's speed. Per what I've read here and at Apple's discussions, S4 Final's users are having numerous troublesome issues I'm NOT having with the Beta. Additionally, I'm not keen to surrender the tweaks until

My questions:

(1) Will I really miss out on anything if I delay switching to Final 4?

(2) Will updates to my other apps continue if I stick with Safari 4 Beta until the sun shines more brightly on Final?

I'm not saying I won't ever switch, just reluctant to do so now.

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

There is no perfect solution, but sticking to a beta will never be my suggestion. You miss all the security and stability fixes. There are two already, and some are quite serious.

Do remember most users probably experience no significant problem, and forum tends to give misconception and exaggerate the number of people who have the problem with it.

3. rerelease macrumors regular

Wasn't one of the fixes for a problem that occurred in the final version, not the beta?

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

if your point is to argue beta is better than final, then take consequences for it.

There are numerous behind the scene fixes here and there, its no surprise they got some wrong this or that time. Its not a proof of beta being "better".

of course, when the developing is chaotic and weak, anything can happen. However, even tho I don't think apple is exactly strong or organized in webkit/safari, it is probably not chaotic or very weak neither.

5. rerelease macrumors regular

I'm not going to say that although if I'd have to choose I'd take the beta myself for the UI alone. I'm not really interested in security tweaks or incremental speed upgrades and I had few problems with the Beta in general. But that's just a personal preference. I moved to Firefox now anyway.

GITANAJAVA:

If it's not the tab style that you're holding on to the beta for, I'd say make the switch. You can make a backup of your Safari.app and install the final version. If it doesn't suit your needs or causes too much trouble, replace it with the backup and it'll work neatly again.

6. GITANAJAVA thread starter macrumors regular

GITANAJAVA

Thank you, everyone, for weighing in with your thoughts. As a marketing consultant and researcher in social media, no one is more aware than I of the demographic and sociographic represented by the comments, complaints, and frustrations in forums. But, as Ogilvy, the maestro himself once said, "Every complaint and frustration voiced publicly by one person represents nine people standing in the shadows nodding."

@rerelease: Ironically, the tabs aren't part of my consideration at all! For me, it's the blue progress bar, disabling the irksome Google Suggestions/Address Suggestions, disabling Top Sites, and using Terminal to tweak (or having access to others' tweaks).

@clevin: While many of your points are logical... hmmm. Perhaps Winnie the Pooh says it best, "If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear."

Again, thank you everyone, for your helpful replies. ;)