Safari 4 bugs/suggestions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by grandslammer, Aug 12, 2009.

1. grandslammer macrumors newbie

Ok, I'm a Mac user and I would really like to use Safari more. Unfortunately, I can never get myself to switch from Firefox, because I keep finding loads of bugs/annoyances with Safari. I am using the latest version - Safari 4.0.3.

Here are the bugs/problems:
    1. In Firefox, links I click from iGogle open in a new tab automatically, without me holding down the Command key, or any key. In Safari, the links from iGoogle open in a whole new window! the only way I can prevent this from happening is to hold down the command key, which is a pain.
    2. When I save a new bookmark to my bookmarks toolbar in Safari, it gets added to the very start of the toolbar instead of the end, causing me to have to manually move the bookmark to the end of the list. Firefox just adds all new bookmarks to the end of the list when I add them.
    3. In Safari, bookmarks in the bookmarks toolbar cannot be re-arranged without having to go into the bookmarks menu. In Firefox, I can re-arrange them in the toolbar itself.
    4. Page rendering in Safari isn't 100 percent. Take a look at this website using Safari:

http://2fm.rte.ie/

Look at the right hand side, the "coverflow section." This is how Safari renders this section. Firstly, it starts the coverflow from left to right, instead of right to left. Secondly, the names of the songs aren't underneath it. (It is a radio station's website, showing you what songs were last played.)
    Now look at the website again, using Firefox:

http://2fm.rte.ie/

Lastly, and probably most importantly, I must stress the need for apple to have an OFFICIAL plug-ins site for Safari. There are some available plug-ins for Safari, but they are too scattered around the internet for me to find them all! Apple needs to create a proper site, like what Mozilla have for Firefox add-ons. They should let developers upload their add-ons to this site, and let people rate, review them, download them, etc.

With Chrome for Mac just around the corner, Apple need to start getting on the ball with Safari!

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

I set my safari:
    new windows open with: Top Sites
    new tabs open with: Bookmarks

1. What do you do with your left hand? It's faster to drive a computer with 2 hands (copy paste, switching to another app using command-tab, etc). You wouldn't play a FPS with just the mouse would you?

Have you tried going to Safari Preferences and do:
    Open links from applications: in new tab

2. Just because you are used to something doesn't mean it's better. Note Top Sites feature in Safari pretty much negates the need to have your most frequently used pages in any visible part of your bookmarks page or tab.

3. I have too many bookmarks to use bookmarks bar. I set new tabs to open bookmarks page, with about 60 bookmarks visible and all bookmarks searchable.

Note Safari displays your frequently used pages as "top sites", negating the need for bookmarks bar for most users.
    http://www.apple.com/safari/whats-new.html

4. Submit a bug via safari's built in bug report. It could just be the programmers didn't code properly on that site. Safari IS standard compliant.

5. plug-ins: hum good idea, sort of like Widgets on apple.com:
    http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/

3. grandslammer thread starter macrumors newbie

I just don't understand why it has to open it up in a new window though! Totally unnecessary.

I already have it set to open links from apps in a new tab. Makes no difference.

When I want to visit one of my top sites in my bookmarks toolbar, I just command-click the link in the toolbar and it opens in a new tab. I find that quicker than using Top Sites in Safari. I also like to have my top sites in constant sight when I'm browsing, just in case I happen to see, say, Facebook in my toolbar and say to myself "oh, I haven't checked my Facebook in a while." - I use the toolbar as a reminder. Easier than having to open Top Sites every while.

I have loads of bookmarks too, but I keep them organized in folders, in the toolbar.

Usually when you add something to something else, it gets added to the end of it, not the beginning. (Referring here to bookmarks)

I will submit the bug report to Apple about the website rendering.

Yeah sort of like the widgets on the Apple site. The service wuld have to be really well organized, and not "messy."

4. ikos macrumors regular

Downloading Glims will allow you to set new tab to open instead of window. Just because you are a Mac user doesn't mean that you have to use Safari, use the Browser that you like more. I use Firefox because it's better, Safari might be a little faster but that's it.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Tips:

Just keep all pages you view regularly open in tab. You can quit with the tabs open.
    When you relaunch, then go History: Reopen all windows from last session.

I got >20 tabs open all the time, in a few windows.

I cycle through windows with
    command+`

cycle through differet tabs with
    Command+{
    Command+}

Open top bookmarks with
    Command+1 to Command+9

Yeah you can also use FF. As long as it's not i.e. But I find Safari cleaner and less distracting.

6. grandslammer thread starter macrumors newbie

Just downloaded & installed Glims...and now Safari won't open up!!! I keep getting the message saying"The pplication Safari quit unexpectadally." I sent the report to Apple. What should I do to fix this?

It hasn't opened at all since I installed glims.

7. ikos macrumors regular

Quit Safari, then open it again if that doesn't work restart Mac then try

8. grandslammer thread starter macrumors newbie

9. adamfishercox macrumors 6502

Uninstall Glims.

When you get it working again, don't use Glims, there's a simple Terminal command to open new windows as new tabs:

Code:
    defaults write com.apple.Safari TargetedClicksCreateTabs -bool true

Open Terminal, paste that in, hit enter, and restart Safari.

As for bookmarks, hold down command to move them around. That the way it's traditionally done on the Mac, so Firefox is "wrong" there.

Lastly, there are no Safari plug-ins. Apple does not offer an architecture for plug-ins in Safari, and as suck they won't be offering a plug in directory. Things like Glims, AdBlock, 1Password, etc. are input manager hacks and are not stricly supported by Apple.

10. grandslammer thread starter macrumors newbie

I have no idea how to uninstall Glims. It was a package installer, and it doesn't show up in system preferences. Any help???

I even searched Spotlight for Glims. No luck.

11. adamfishercox macrumors 6502

Make sure to include system files in your spotlight search. (Click the plus next to the save button, choose "System Files" from the "Other..." menu option)

12. grandslammer thread starter macrumors newbie

13. grandslammer thread starter macrumors newbie

I found a way to uninstall Glims, and Safari is working again now!

Anyone have any idea when Chrome for Mac is coming out?

14. adamfishercox macrumors 6502

you realize that chrome for mac will be even more simple and bare bones, right?

15. grandslammer thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah, but I wanna try it out anyway! I can't see myself switching from Firefox for long though! I tried Flock fr a while, but came back to Firefox! I don't like the UI of Opera.

16. devburke Guest

Actually I don't know what you guys are talking about. I can drag bookmarks around my Bookmarks Bar as much as I want, without having to hold anything. Just click and drag.

17. grandslammer thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, we are talking about when you click on the arrow at the end of the bar in Safari and get the dropdown list of the rest of your bookmarks. It doesn't let you drag them then. Firefox does.

18. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

Is it my laptop having a bad Safari setup, or did the new Safari update remove the "Clear Recent Searches" option from the search bar? I'm not at my desktop to see if this affected my iMac as well.

19. devburke Guest

You're right! Submit it as a bug!