Safari 4 Cache is acting oddly

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Dybbuk, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

Hey everyone,

I've had this issue ever since I switched from Safari 3 to the Safari 4 beta. I was hoping that the Final would fix this, but it hasn't, so I come to you for help ...

At points, Safari simply stops loading stuff from the cache. Particularly, once I do a hard-refresh on a page of a site, it will continue to reload every single element while I remain on that site until I close Safari. I noticed this a lot while I was doing development on my site (http://worldbeyblade.org) and it's become really frustrating.

Please someone help me, because it's seriously slowing down my browsing.

2. Dybbuk thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. vrunner macrumors newbie

Wow glad someone else pointed out this issue. I thought it was just me going nuts.

My experience goes something like this:
    After browsing a webpage for a while, or on a manual refresh, Safari stops picking up images from the cache. I can see the images loading every time as I browse around the website. If i do a Shift+refresh on that particular page, it starts picking up cached images again.

Don't have this issue in firefox or Safari 3

4. Dybbuk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Glad to see someone else is having the same issue. I downloaded a nightly build of WebKit and used that with Safari (if you open WebKit on a Mac, it opens via Safari, but replaces the WebKit with the one you downloaded). This fixes the issue, so it's definitely a problem with Apple's implementation.

5. vrunner macrumors newbie

Brilliant ! Thanks a ton !!

6. Ducky280 macrumors regular

I get this error when I post to a forum or reply to a message on a website...

Driving me NUTZZZZ

7. Ducky280 macrumors regular

Downloaded the WEB KIT (!8th June Version).. and its fixed some of the Cache Issues

Still not as Smooth as Safari 3 or Firefox... But better than it was...

8. Dybbuk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Giving this a bump. A few people on discussions.apple.com are also having this problem. I can't explain why it isn't more widespread, but it's still so frustrating to me, and makes me want to move to Firefox 3.5 ...