Safari 4 crashes, then won't open

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bsmithree, Oct 25, 2009.

1. bsmithree macrumors newbie

So I was having problems with my Safari browser, and it would just close after about 10 seconds of being open. So I used an app called AppCleaner to get rid of Safari and kept the bookmarks and stuff.
    Then I went to apple.com to download Safari again, and when I restarted my mac after installation, the Safari app was no where to be found on my computer.
    Help?

2. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

Did you do a file search for it?

I stopped using Safari because of the nonstop crashes.

3. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Then there is something else on your Mac that was contributing to Safari crashes. I use it all the time, and it rarely crashes. Word and Excel crash more often, but still not frequently, certainly not constantly.

OP: Are you sure it was installed after it was downloaded? Maybe you just got the .pkg file and didn't complete the installation.

4. bsmithree thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah i personally use Firefox, but its for my mom and brothers. Yes I went through the whole installer and got to the "click here to restart" thing. And yes I searched for it in the finder and just find the .dmg file to install..yet again.

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Ok, let's get some specifics.

Do you know that the version of Safari that you wiped out was Safari 4?
    Have you tried (re?)installing Safari 3?
    What Mac and OS do you have?

Obviously, I'm wondering if Safari 4 is supposed to work on your system. But, without looking somewhere, I'm not sure what OS would refuse to run it, or in this case, install it.

6. bsmithree thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm about 90% sure it was Safari 4. and right now my is mac os x 10.5.8.
    And no i have not tried Safari 3, maybe I'll give that a go.

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Ok, while it won't help you, I'm also running 10.5.8 and Safari 4.0.3 works fine. Something's gotten messed up that might not have anything to do with Safari. Are you still under warranty with Apple?

8. bsmithree thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't know..how can I check. My family got this iMac two years ago in December.

9. capecod565 macrumors member

I just read something about this in the Oct issue of MacLife magazine on page 81.
    If you dont have access to the magazine, let me know here, and I can summarize the article for you.
    But in a nutshell, they say to install a different version. I am using version 4.0.3(5531.9)without any problems.
    Or to take SafariStand out, I dont have it, its a plug-in that gives you more menu items that some people use, I never installed it. But its not compatible with some versions of Safari. I use the Develop menu, but that one is OK.
    Might check for software updates, I think I did a Safari one a couple of weeks ago.
    Hope this helps.
    Jane

10. Gregg2 macrumors 603

If they didn't buy Apple Care, then you're out of warranty. If they did, you should have documentation for it, and you're still good.