Safari 4 Ctrl-Shift-Tab (Select Previous Tab) problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mach4, Jun 17, 2009.

1. mach4 macrumors newbie

Does anyone else have the problem where you have to press "Ctrl-Shift-Tab" twice to be able to switch to the previous tab? For me the first press always moves the focus to the Google search box and then only with the second press it switches to the previous tab.

It's hugely annoying and I can't believe this issue has gone unnoticed.

2. Nobita macrumors 6502

Probably you're used to firefox. Try to use apple-shift-[ or apple-shift-] to move around your tabs. apple-shift-tab means something a little bit different than it does in firefox.

3. mach4 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ctrl-Shift-Tab is new for Safari 4... click on the "Window" menu and you will see it is the shortcut used to select the previous tab

It does work, it's just that most often it requires two presses to move back one tab.

4. Nobita macrumors 6502

Oh I see it's new!

I've just tried it, I think control-shift-tab works only if your cursor is already on the title bar... Just my guess...

I've also figured that you can use apple-shift-left or right.

5. mach4 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, that also works as well as the old apple-shift-bracket... problem with those is that they require two hands and are not practical when you have one hand on the mouse

6. Pomeroy macrumors 6502

Pomeroy

If you are using Glims then you can use just the " , " and " . " to move back and forth between the Tabs.

7. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

this also happens to me. the other two methods (apple + shift + arrows or apple + shift + brackets) both work on the first attempt, but using ctrl + shift + tab, it first changes focus to the google search bar, then on the second try, switches tabs.

very odd indeed.

8. Nobita macrumors 6502

Perhaps it will be updated with a software update? I think safari 4 really needs some clean up. On my other thread I mentioned that it crashses more than 5 times in a day with normal browsing load...

9. turkay macrumors regular

turkay

Wow thanks for this plugin, awesome!