Safari 4 Developer Preview just the latest Webkit?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iBunny, Jul 5, 2008.

1. iBunny macrumors 65816

Is the Safari 4 preview just like the latest version of webkit?

would it be better to use Safari 4 or the Latest webkit?

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

no, latest webkit probably is newer, safari released version will never be as new as webkit nightly.

3. iBunny thread starter macrumors 65816

Does Apple ever add anything extra to/or on top of a Webkit release when they publish Safari?

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

yes.

webkit relies on safari to function. a latest webkit with an old version of safari will not offer the new functions in newer version of safari.

5. operator207 macrumors 6502

Wouldn't that be Safari relies on WebKit to function? I coulda sworn that WebKit is Safari's browser engine.

From WebKit.org: "WebKit is an open source web browser engine. WebKit is also the name of the Mac OS X system framework version of the engine that's used by Safari, Dashboard, Mail, and many other OS X applications."

6. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

well, you can think its co-exist, w/o safari, webkit will NOT run, w/ webkit, there will be no safari.

7. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Yes it will, if you are using Dashboard, Mail, Help Viewer, etc.

8. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

it will, if.....

sigh, good luck using your help viewer or mail to surf the net. :p

9. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Who said anything about surfing the net? You claimed Webkit will not run without Safari. That is false. It runs fine, as it provides a framework for those other apps. Just correcting your misleading statements. :)

10. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

well, thats not being helpful to OP. Im guessing when he/she asked about "webkit", he meant webkit as the downloaded package from webkit.org that can be extracted and run as a browser.

Or are you saying OP was asking about webkit as a help viewer or etc? :/

Webkit as a browser downloaded from webkit.org, will NOT run w/o safari. Is that a better statement that you can agree?:p

11. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

The WebKit.app nightly launcher is in fact just a stub application that launches the installed Safari.app with a different WebKit.

12. operator207 macrumors 6502

13. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

14. operator207 macrumors 6502

I was originally responding to YOUR post about how "webkit relies on safari to function." It does not. Maybe I got off topic, but you cannot really stay on topic if the topic's facts being discussed are not accurate.

Short answer, I was correcting you, to keep others at a later date from believing WebKit relied on Safari to function. When its really the other way around. If Safari did not exist, WebKit would still exist, other applications use WebKit that do not even exist in an OS X environment.

You can change the question, you can change the subject, but you cannot change the fact that you said, "webkit relies on safari to function." and that statement is just wrong.

As for your quoted question above, I assume he was referring to the "latest WebKit", just like he stated. Again, I was not responding to him, or I would have quoted him. I quoted you, responding to you. Regardless, it does not "depend" on what he meant, because again I was not responding to him. It depends on what you think WebKit means, I do not believe it means what you think it means.

15. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

What did i mean by webkit? ...mmmm... consider I was originally replying to OP, and have since been following his new questions. Im guessing I was referring to exactly what OP means by webkit.

thats fine anyway Mr. Dejo has already discussed this problem before in above posts, in case you didn't realize, I did add more description of that statement to make it more complete as in post #10

It doesn't hurt to repeat it again, since it seems more ppl is coming up with same question. :)

16. operator207 macrumors 6502

Very adult like.

And how many posts did it take for you to "revise" your statement? 6 posts total, with you going back and forth with Dojo and myself. You could not be wrong. You had to be right, and changed your comments once you realized you were wrong to fit what others were stating.

This however does not mean your right, being your original statement says:
    Which is not true in any form. How can WebKit rely on Safari, when some of these applications are not built for OS X specifically?

Then there is this:
    Again not 100% correct. webkit itself WILL run, it does this in omniweb, shiira and other applications that have nothing to do with OS X or Safari.

OP, I hope you learned what you set out to. I am sorry that your thread turned into this.

17. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

hijacking the original question from OP into a debate of what a term really means when both you and me and op know exactly what it means.

.... ....helpful to whom? and helpful to what?

...even revising my own statement from my end, TWICE, still isn't enough for you, because its ...slow?

...what do you want more then?

I was simply answering a question, A.K.A. providing exactly answer to help somebody who has a question, is that so difficult for you to believe I didn't hold an intention to obscure the difference between webkit and safari?

Some people here is just being way too suspicious, or I should be sorry for answering a question here at MR? AFAIK, only helpful answers for OP's two questions, are both from me. correct? You guys just write other 80% of the post to attack me? for answering a question? This is ridiculous.

18. operator207 macrumors 6502

Your right, I did hijack this thread, to correct you.

I apologize to the OP.

I am not suspicious of you. That sounds like your paranoid for some reason. I do not like it when incorrect information is given, it spawns the spouting of misinformation. I was trying to help the OP by clarifying what you incorrectly stated. BEFORE YOU CORRECTED YOURSELF. Get that through your skull. I was COMMENTING on YOUR FIRST RESPONSE. Not your subsequent responses. I am tired of this debate. You cannot grasp the concept that you made a mistake in how you phrased your ORIGINAL statement, and only want to argue that you corrected yourself, and therefore were never wrong. You cannot fathom you were wrong in your original post.

And your right this is ridiculous. I am done with this thread, its was answered correctly, eventually.

I sincerely hope that the next thread we happen to post in together, this will not happen. You seem to be an intelligent person, if not a bit bull headed, like myself. Take care.

19. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

All out, Let me just say I don't agree, my first responce was still there, whoever want can read him/herself. And do remember i was exchanging with OP using same terms he(she) was using. We have no problem understanding each other.

You can be assured I only reply to the materials, next time, I won't even remember your name in a different thread. There is no such need to worry.