Safari 4 disabled Quicktime Pro "Save As" feature?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mattalici, Jun 12, 2009.

1. mattalici macrumors member

Hey guys,

Is anyone else having this issue? I used to be able to save youtube movies, mp3's etc. I would find the url for the media I wanted in the Activity Window, double click, and bingo, I could save the clip i needed. Now, there is no "save" triangle in the window. I AM NOT HAPPY. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, is there a workaround?

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

2. mattalici thread starter macrumors member

3. SimonJ macrumors regular

I have noticed the same thing.. thought it was just me.

Unfortunately I don't know of a workaround right now.

4. iJesus macrumors 6502a

iJesus

Wait... are you talking about this?:

Attached Files:

5. jackerin macrumors 6502a

I can't be bothered to check, but I would guess that double-clicking would open the media in a new/active window. Option-double-clicking would automatically send it to the Safari download manager.

What I noticed is that you mentioned Youtube videos, which are typically loaded in the Flash player. Quicktime has no native support for the FLV format that Youtube uses, only being able to play them with Perian installed. Could it be that with the installation of Safari 4 the browser plug-in settings have been changed so Quicktime is not set to handle stand-alone FLV files?

6. leashfour macrumors newbie

I'm also having a similar problem. I uploaded an mp3 to my website for people to download. I tested it in Firefox and was able to download it with no problems. However, when I open the URL in Safari 4, there is no option to download the mp3. It just allows you to play the mp3 in the browser window. (See screengrab below.)

[​IMG]

I have tried to download it every which way, but no luck. Have already trashed my Safari preference/P-list files, which didn't work.

7. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I suspect that the problem has nothing to do with QuickTime, and has everything to do with Safari 4's new HTML5 support. Basically, Safari doesn't bother loading the QuickTime player component for playing the MP3 file anymore, and instead uses its own internal multimedia support component (deferring the actual decoding to QuickTime of course).

8. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

This change occurred before Safari 4.0. I noticed it using Safari 3 before 4 came out. I think it's Apple's/specific websites way of keeping folks from downloading certain videos.