Safari 4 Final & Home Page Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GITANAJAVA, Jul 31, 2009.

1. GITANAJAVA macrumors regular

GITANAJAVA

In Safari > Preferences > General:

I set my prefs as follows (attchmnt 1) --

However, unless I set "New windows/tabs open with..." to exactly the same option/URL as the home page (or vice-versa, the home page is set the same as "new windows/tabs open with..."), Safari 4 Final will only open to whatever is set in "New windows/tabs...", not the selection I've made for my home page.

It does not matter what URL I use for Home -- http, https, a Google account, a non-Google account, etc. -- Safari 4 Final will not open with my preferred home page.

I've searched diligently for a solution via MRoogle, Google, Apple forums, for several hours. I've deleted the Safari plist and restarted, I've performed every standard, recommended ploy, and....nada.

So, here I am at last, exhausted, and hoping my faithful pro pals will drop by with some useful 411. Thanks, gang!

:::sudden idea -- is there a conflict possible with the Top Sites concept and opting for a home page? I don't use the TS feature at all. :::

Small :apple: Soapbox: I did not have this issue with Safari 3 or Safari 4 Beta and I rue the day I succumbed to web-peer pressure and ditched the Beta. It worked beautifully with my PB G4/10.4.11. Since d/l'ing Safari Loco, all I've done is problem-solve, played beach ball, and filed bug reports. If Apple didn't intend for Safari 4 Final to comfortably and easily retro-fit, if it was only built for top of the line, new and shiny hardware & software, we should have been warned. :(

And while I'm up here on my :apple: soapbox....bring back my blue progress bar!

Attached Files:

2. devburke Guest

Think about it. When you open Safari, you're opening a new windows. In the screenshot below, you've specifically TOLD Safari to open a new window with your bookmarks, and NOT your home page. "Home page" doesn't just mean the page that comes up when you open Safari, it means the page it goes to when you tell it to go home. If you click History -> Home, it'll go to your home page. If you have the "Home" button in your toolbar and you click that, it'll take you to your home page. And likewise, if you tell it to open a new window with your home page, then you will be greeted with your home page when you open Safari. But if you DON'T tell it to go home, such as by telling it to go to Bookmarks, then it won't go home, it'll go to Bookmarks. It's only doing exactly what you're telling it to.

3. GITANAJAVA thread starter macrumors regular

GITANAJAVA

Hmmm....perhaps you misunderstood my question/problem?

As you might have noted by my MR membership info, I've been a member here for over 3 years; I've been a Mac-head for five. I know my way around the OS fairly well and I'm no noob at Safari. Until I downloaded Safari 4 Final two weeks ago -- after having used Safari 4 Beta without any issues since the day it was released -- I had my settings exactly as shown in the attachment. When Safari opened, it opened to the Home Page; when I opened a new window (Safari > File > New Window), it opened to Bookmarks.

As Safari's own Help menu says, "Your Home Page is the page that normally appears when you first open Safari", and on the same page, "If you also want the home page to appear whenever you open a new Safari window, choose Home Page from the 'New windows open with' pop-up menu."

So, when you say, "When you open Safari, you're opening a new windows [sic]", that has never been the case before, nor is it what the Help instructions say. If that was correct, there would hardly be a point to having the option for different settings for the Home Page, the New Windows, and the New Tabs. :confused:

4. dianamcl macrumors newbie

The answer is in your screenshot

In the screenshot you posted of your Preferences > General settings one of the choices is "New Windows Open with:"

Your screenshot shows that your browser is set to "New Windows Open with: Bookmarks" That is why the every new window you open will open to Bookmarks.

So, open the Preferences > General and change it to: "New Windows Open with: Homepage"

Voila :)

5. GITANAJAVA thread starter macrumors regular

GITANAJAVA

AAAaaarrrghhhh! Ok, I'm going to give this one last try.

I posted the JPEG to demonstrate how I =WANT= my preferences set; since I became a Mac'er five years ago, I have consistently had my preferences set this way. However, when I changed to Safari 4 Final, the settings I have always used no longer work.

For reasons that defy any of my past Mac experiences and that -- so far -- have resisted all correction via the usual solutions (please read my original post!), I am compelled to have "New windows open with....", "New tabs open with....", and "Home Page" all at the same setting.

To recap one final time, in order to have Safari 4 Final open with my Home Page, this is how I am currently compelled by Safari 4 Final's errant behavior to set my Safari General Preferences:

New windows open with: Home Page
    New tabs open with: Home Page
    Home page: https://www.google.com/accounts/

But, how I want to set my Safari General Preferences -- and how I have had them set for five years until the advent of Safari 4 Final -- looks like this:

New windows open with: Bookmarks
    New tabs open with: Bookmarks [Remember, I don't use tabs]
    Home page: https://www.google.com/accounts/