Safari 4 - How do i control this beast?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by to1986, Feb 10, 2010.

1. to1986 macrumors regular

I am using safari 4 on snow leopard 10.6.2, and right now activity monitor says its real memory usage is 302MB. i have 2 tabs open, both of which are forums! This is not a one off, this is an everyday thing and I know plenty of other people have the same issue with it. I clean installed snow leopard due to performance issues, which improved the OS in general but safari is still the memory hog it was prior to the clean install! Does anyone have any tips or solutions to controlling this beast??

O n please dont say use chrome or firefox, I have all 3 browsers and I just keep going back to safari! Any help would be appreciated!

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

that is normal use for safari. i wouldnt worry about it at all as there is nothing you can do to reduce those numbers - apart from closing safari everyday to refresh memory.

how much RAM do you have?

3. MasterDev macrumors 65816

What he said + the longer you have the browser open, the more likely it is to hog up memory.

4. to1986 thread starter macrumors regular

So basically your both saying the best thing is to restart safari every now and then?

I have just got the standard 2GB, was perfectly fine with leopard, sadly inadequate with snow leopard. From what ive seen im not the only one having issues with memory usage in snow leopard. Is the memory management down to the OS, or the actual programs not adjusting so well to the new OS?

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yupers and it doesnt get any lower in memory im telling you that haha!

memory management is done by the OS. OSX maintains memory usage amasingly well compared to most other operating systems. just because a program is using lots of memory doesnt mean that the memory usage is bad or that the program is a hog! it generally means memory usage is good! because you want that program to have as much memory as possible to work best for you. it took me a long time to understand that.

as long as you still have a little bit of free memory, and your page ins/outs and swap files arent to large, you will be fine (check with Activity monitor or iStat) - that would be hard with only 2GB of RAM though.