Safari 4 - how to change skin/outlook??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jon08, Jun 9, 2009.

1. jon08 macrumors 68000

One thing that has always annoyed me about Safari was its dull, boring skin. Its mostly gray, and thus appears rather colorless. Firefox still looks a lot more user-friendly to me; it just looks somewhat neater, while Safari looks just plain and rather lackluster. Also, I've never been a fan of the Back/Forward and them buttons either - I would love if there was a chance to make them look like those in FF.

Is there a way to change Safari's skin outlook as well as the buttons?

2. wpautz macrumors newbie

Ditto

I have the exact same question. I find the Back button is annoyingly small. Sure I can use the delete key, but with Firefox I find that I sometimes use the Back button anyway, because it is big like it aught to be.

Firefox is great, but I just thought I'd give Safari a second chance because of the new release.

3. jon08 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah, and as I've mentioned in some other post, I hate Safari's dullness, for example as seen in the Bookmarks bar - the contrast between the letters and the gray background is unpleasant to the eye.......

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Right click on the Safari icon and "Show Package Contents." Look in the Resources directory and tinker to your heart's content.

5. wpautz macrumors newbie

Thanks Miles, but I'm old and dumb. I went there and found the NavBackButton.png, but how do I make it bigger?

Right now it is 27 X 23.

Is this the only way? There are no skins for Safari?

6. jon08 thread starter macrumors 68000

Wait, what exactly do I do with that?

7. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

you have a macbook pro, i dont understand why you are clicking on the back button when you have gestures.

8. Yeti60 macrumors member

Yeah, can't you just slide three fingers to the left to go back a page?

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You need to create a new, larger image using some kind of graphic editing program. Also keep in mind that I'm not sure how Safari will react to putting a larger-sized icon in the gui. Keep a backup of the original files you replace, and don't be disappointed if it breaks.

The Resources folder contains all of the elements of the GUI. You can modify those files to modify the GUI.

Once again... do this at your own risk.

10. wpautz macrumors newbie

I did not even know about 3 finger gestures!. I'd used Opera for a while when I used a mouse. Their 'back' move with the mouse is very addictive (right click while moving to the left).

So I can imagine that 3 finger 'back' gesture is equally as addictive for trackpad users. Only, I can't see how to activate it.

Running: OS 10.4.11 on a 17" Macbook Pro Intel Core Duo (not Core 2 Duo). This was the first batch that came with Intel processors 3 years ago.

Do I need to upgrade to Leopard to get the trackpad gestures?

And then even when I do get that working, looks like Safari 4 still has issues with hotmail. I can't drag hotmail to the new Top Sites page, nor can I with my bank's website.

So one way or another I'll probably have to see if I can get gestures working on Firefox.

11. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

back/forward gestures are only for the recent macbook pros (starting last february).

12. Jisuo macrumors 6502

No, you have them in all macbooks that have the multitouch trackpad (unibody macbooks & Pros & Air).

13. wpautz macrumors newbie

Hmm, I'll be quite jealous of my girlfriend's mac when I finally find the money to buy her one.

So I'm back at seeking a skin for Safari. Or reaching for that damned Delete button.

14. jon08 thread starter macrumors 68000

^^ Yeah, Firefox still looks so much neater...the buttons and all that. And even "feels" nicer when you click on the buttons; in Safari those buttons feel kind of hard upon click hah...

15. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The image will get scaled down to the same size as the original: it's not the size of the image that determines the size of the button. Toolbar items have a size as set in the Apple HIG document.