Safari 4 is... brown?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by britboyj, May 31, 2009.

1. britboyj macrumors 6502a

The other day I clicked on a link and when the page loaded my Safari 4 window turned browny-beige.

I can't find any option in view or preferences to get rid of it, nor anything on Google.

WTF?:confused:

EDIT: It appears my trashcan is the same colour as well?

Attached Files:

2. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

3. messedkid macrumors 6502

messedkid

In thumbnail view, your pic does look brown-beige, but when I opened it within Safari 3, it matches my Grey Safari perfectly.

When I tilt my monitor/display, they both turn brown though.

4. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Its definitely brown on my MBP, even when I open up the larger image, comparing to my copy of Safari.

5. messedkid macrumors 6502

messedkid

Posting screenshot.

Attached Files:

6. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

It's definitely brown for me...but then I realised I was viewing it in Firefox. For some reason it looks, like with yours, brown in the thumbnail yet grey in the full-size image in Safari, but it's brown in both in Firefox...weird.

EDIT: If you're looking at my bookmarks, yes, I'm a member at ABBA and Bond forums, and if you must know the random 'Museum' and 'Stuff' files/folders are for my work :p

Attached Files:

7. sarnoff macrumors newbie

Since it looks normal for all of us (though the thumbnail is off for me in FF, and I am not sure why...), I would venture a guess that you changed the display color profile in your preferences - giving your display a brownish tint.

8. brent0saurus macrumors regular

brent0saurus

woah how'd you get the time and date on your desktop?? that looks awesome!

9. messedkid macrumors 6502

messedkid

10. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

GeekTools.

11. britboyj thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah I tried recalibrating my display, but to no avail. The stacks would flash that colour as well before opening. All other windows were the right colour too.

I loaded firefox and it all changes back to silver/grey.

WTF????

12. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

This is way weird.

I don't think this has to do with anything anybody has recommended so far. Obviously posting screenshots will not work because results vary, instead I would recommend digital pictures. For me the thumbnail is brown and the full size it normal color, same for a friend.
    My theory would be that something is able to detect and fix it (you lost yours), that's why it didn't get the thumbnail. I have no idea why though.

What site did you visit when it did this?

Try re-installing the browser. Or re-setting if you haven't already. On second thought though, if it worked with firefox I don't think it's safari.

This is probably the most interesting topic I've seen in a long time. And I know GUI problems. (still)

13. britboyj thread starter macrumors 6502a

I reset the NVRAM and the Trash Can changed back to silver. (WTF there)

The site that appears to change the colour in Safari is blogger. ANY link within blogger that opens a new window changes the colour. If I open them in a new tab, nothing changes.

EDIT: It appears that ANY website launching a new window (not a new tab) will cause that window to go brown. If I close it before closing the original, silver window, nothing changes when I open up Safari again.

If I close the silver window and THEN close the brown window, Safari is brown. Launching Safari links from Mail, for instance, also show up brown. The Activity and Downloads windows, when open, are still silver.

What. The. Hell.

14. britboyj thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay, I've removed the Safari 4 beta and gone down to Safari 3 - this solves the brown in Safari but certain shades of silver appear to still be brown.

Load the Apple homepage and the navigation bar at the top is brown.

The trash can is still brownish as well (have reset the NVRAM again)

It almost seems like the graphics card or display can't or won't display certain colours correctly.

EDIT: Seems like it's no longer just Safari 4 Beta, although that appears to be where the problem started. Numbers shows weird too. I'm starting a new thread in the MBA forums, as that's what I have.

15. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

Your display colour profile is simply very different.

I get the thumbnail being brown, but the picture actually silver (in either Safari or Preview).

If I open the picture in Preview, and apply a standard sRGB to it (assign, not match), it goes brown, suggesting that your colour profile you have for your display is simply very different.

Not that Firefox, by default, is not colour aware, so will apply an sRGB colour profile to all files, regardless of what profiles are attached, thus why Firefox displays as brown. Safari is fully colour aware.

Whenever you take screen shots, the attached colour profile to the resulting image will be your display profile.

Note, the display profile, even after you change it, is typically stored in cache, so to make sure everything is applied, log out and re log in.

Try changing to the original "Color LCD" colour profile and log out and in and see if this fixes some of your issues.

16. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

@ messedkid I don't mean to pull off topic, but how do you get your Adium contacts on that semi-transparent window on the left?

17. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

I will second that, if I can follow it.

Dude, this guy sounds like he knows what he's talking about I'm sticking with that.

That's weird, I have a MacBook Air with graphics problems too. When I get a chance I will take this question to an apple store to see if there is anything to do other than reinstall.

Could you post a link to your MBA forum? Thanks.

18. britboyj thread starter macrumors 6502a

19. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

I still thinks it's a colour profile issue at some level. Hve you tried repairing your colour profiles using the color sync utility? Also try repairing permissions and logging out.

20. britboyj thread starter macrumors 6502a

Done and done.

Nothing changes. Repairing using ColorSync says "No problems found" or "No repairs needed."

The only thing I HAVEN'T done at this point is completely reinstall OSX, which is apparently because my discs go "Hey, no."

21. messedkid macrumors 6502

messedkid

Open the Adium Preferences and open the Appearance tab.
    I use:

Color Theme: HUD
    List Layout: Decay 2.0
    Window Style: Borderless Window
    Opacity: 25%

22. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

Did you try removing your custom display profile? (don't forget to log out).

Seriously the picture you attached looks completely fine in any colour aware program on my end. I get it to go brown if I remove the colour profile.

Did you try looking at your picture within safari?

I can make it look how I want, depending on what I do with the embedded colour profile. Of course that's because of your screen shot. I'm not sure what can necessarily be done with your OS:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It could be something like certain programs are not using your display profile. What is your set up? Do you have an external monitor? ARe you using a custom display profile? If so, what profile is it and where is it? (ie. user or system?)