Safari 4 is slower than Safari 3

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cyberjunky, Jun 17, 2009.

1. cyberjunky macrumors regular

Hey guys.

Don't want to start a flame war here or anything. Noticing some weird problems with the new Safari 4.

If Safari 4 is working fine for you please don't bother with the typical "working fine for me, theres nothing wrong with it" type post.

For everyone else, i am finding opening/closing tabs is slower than safari 3. Also because the tab closing button is now hidden until mouse over that seems to lag too.

Whenever i open/close a tab, or visit a web page in Safari 4 flash streams in another page pause, though never did that in Safari 3.

Also, strange behavior on youtube in Safari 4, whereby now when scrolling in the related videos side bar thing, sometimes the scroll bar gets stuck and won't scroll then lags behind. Also sometimes the scroll bar gets stuck to the mouse, i let go of the mouse button but the scroll bar still follows the mouse.

Just generally i am finding Safari 4 to be slower than Safari 3. Is anyone else having the same problems?

FYI i am running Leopard 10.5.7 on the 1.83 Ghz Core 2 Duo white macbook. With 2 Gb of ram.

2. SteveG4Cube macrumors 6502

I've found it slower loading alot of pages, and it crashes alot. :mad:

3. cyberjunky thread starter macrumors regular

I am glad it is not just me then.

With apple quoting these fantastic new speeds i expected it to be faster, but i am guessing Apple was benchmarking just the Webkit engine with its JS engine without all the additional fluff of Safari 4.

4. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

That sounds like a strange issue. Have you tried repairing permissions recently? Sometimes it kind of sorts things out for you for some odd reason.

Opening tabs does seem a little bit slower but that just seems to be because of the new new tab window displaying previews of the sites you most often visit, a feature which is actually growing on me oddly enough.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Safari 4 seems to be much better than Safari 3 on 10.4. Works great, faster on some sites.
    MBP 2.4ghz c2d

Have you sumbitted bug reports via Safari's menus?

6. kolax macrumors G3

I find it fast, but loading a new tab loads the Top Sites screen (unless you've changed it) which makes it laggy for a moment.

I've noticed Safari will take ages to load a webpage every few hours (varies).

7. turkay macrumors regular

turkay

8. Ninian macrumors newbie

Safari 4 is way too slow...

I agree with the other posts. Since installing the latest Safari, it takes about seven seconds to open, say, bbc.co.uk/news, when it would take about three seconds before. If you're jumping in and out of websites a lot, it's a total pain in the ass and just plain annoying when Apple come out with a lie saying it's faster! How on Earth do they get away with that?!!

Does anyone know where I can download the previous version again?

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Takes about 2-3 seconds here in the US.

10. drossad macrumors regular

Sometimes it seems slightly slower, sometimes slightly faster. It's definitely not as consistent as Safari 3. I'm gonna try turning off top sites (if that's possible) and see if it runs faster.

I'm sure that as Apple releases updates it will get better.

I will say that it is way faster on my Mac than it is on my wife's PC.

11. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

Reset
    Repair permission
    Repair disk
    Diable top site

Safari is getting slightly more complicated, and probably less consistent for some.

12. deltaiscain macrumors regular

I have a different issue with Safari 4.0.1. I usually have a lot of tabs open and when I close safari and open it again later I use the Restore All Windows From Last Session button. However, it won't restore my Gmail, which is what irritates me the most. It'll just open a blank page.

13. freesonwang macrumors member

Check the console (spotlight Console.app...I believe it's in utilties). You can see what error messages are being printed to the screen.

For me, everytime I ran Safari I got something that said "disk0s2 : I/O Error". (Which after googling, either meant I had "bad sectors on my disk" or "my disk was failing" and it was being brought up because Safari was accessing corrupt parts of my disk.) Basically, have the Safari window on its side and do stuff, but have the console window visible so you can see what messages are popping up. If you see some error message (or something that looks like an error message) popping up every time Safari lags, that's the basis of your problem.

Unfortunately (or fortunately), I basically just clean reinstalled my system (Erase by writing zeros over the disk and then reinstall completely) after zero-ing out my disk and it seems to be okay now.

Here's my take a Safari - a bit speedier, snappier, prettier and polished than Firefox but still rather unstable. I appreciate the little animations too much to leave Safari, but if you feel that it is unstable maybe Firefox is worth considering.

Good luck!

14. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

so... what you're saying is it's not laggy. i have it loading a blank page for new windows+tabs.

runs great for me..

15. Ninian macrumors newbie

I found this site. Totally fixed my issues and gets around the nasty Apple system whereby it's impossible to uninstall Safari 4 without reinstalling your system.

http://michelf.com/projects/multi-safari/