Safari 4 keeps crashing

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Nobita, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Nobita macrumors 6502

Hi everyone,

I don't know if you guys have experienced this, but my safari 4 has been crashing a LOT, at least twice or three times a day. It occurs at random time, absolutely random. I have not used safari before, I have always been using firefox (Until I see the ad that safari is the fastest browser...)

Here's the crash report that I sent to Apple (notice the number of crashes):

[​IMG]

2. Grimer4 macrumors newbie

3. turkay macrumors regular

turkay

Did you try resetting Safari and trashing the pref files?

4. turkay macrumors regular

turkay

No, it is far less crashing for me. Only 1 or 2 times that i remember. The beta was horrible like +20 times.

5. Nobita thread starter macrumors 6502

I tried resetting without removing history and top sites and filled forms, but it does not help at all. I wonder if Apple's going to fix this by an update?

6. turkay macrumors regular

turkay

Did you try trashing ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist ? After that you may need log out and log back in your account.

7. lisfolks macrumors newbie

Safari 4 keeps crashing - yes it does!

I am a Masters student in a situation where I'm required to do all of my research online. My final thesis is due tomorrow, and Safari keeps crashing on me right and left ever since the upgrade to 4 came in (via "Software Update") - OMG, this is the first time I've ever wanted to shoot my Mac!!! I get several windows open, I'm going back and forth between them, I'm logged into several eBook systems and looking for further info, and suddenly - IT'S ALL GONE!

I quit using Firefox a couple of upgrades into version 3 because it was doing the same thing. My Safari was reliable as could be, though, so I started using it all the time. Now, I'm wondering if Apple used base code from Firefox to create this &%!?*! upgrade.

Oh, yeah, and I totally reset everything when I relaunch, too, and it makes no difference!

AARRGGHH!! :confused: :mad:

8. mcnallym macrumors 6502a

Has the 4.0.2 update made any difference for you at all.

9. Cinder6 macrumors 6502

Cinder6

I'm not having problems with Safari crashing, but hanging. It's really, really annoying. It happens when a page is loading--active tab, inactive tab, it doesn't matter. I can't do anything with Safari for a few seconds. Also, page loads themselves are abysmally slow (I'd thought that was just my network connection, but then I tried another browser, and realized it wasn't). Oh, and sometimes even closing Safari takes several seconds.

It really irks me, because the beta ran perfectly. I got not a single crash or hang like this. And it had tabs on top. The problem's so bad I switched over to Stainless, which runs...amazing. It even scores higher on SunSpider, for me.

To be fair, though, my problem could easily stem from the fact I have GreaseKit and Glims installed.

10. EX1127 macrumors 6502

EX1127

I just got the new update and mine is hanging a bit and has crashed a couple of times

11. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

couple of upgrade do have chance to corrupt the profile, a new firefox profile will return you a healthy and nice firefox.