Safari 4 --> New Features for Mobile Safari coming?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lilmitchmitch, Feb 24, 2009.

1. lilmitchmitch macrumors 6502

I downloaded the beta version of Safari 4 today during class and have been using it for the past few hours. I really like the concept of the "Top Sites" and just thought that this could be nice for my iPhone. With the Top Sites, I find it almost pointless to have a bunch of bookmarked sites (unless you seriously check 20+ sites a day) because you can just pop open a new window and have it go to your top sites because you're probably going to visit one of them anyways.

I started to think of how this could work on the iPhone/Touch and thought that when you clicked on the Safari icon, it would then bring you to basically another home screen that would have your top sites as more icons. From there you could click those icons and it would bring you to that site.

Edit: To go along with more of my title, does anybody think that this could spark some new features? Possibly some type of cover flow integration like they did with the history and such?

I don't know... I am reading for a class and got bored and started to think about this. Sorry if it's been said before (and no I didn't search, because I don't care). So if it's a repeat then delete it, I won't be offended.

2. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

It's not a beta anymore.

Maybe we will see some of the features in Safari 4 in Safari Mobile in the next software update. 2.3? 3.0?

3. lilmitchmitch thread starter macrumors 6502

http://www.apple.com/safari/download/ ...still says Safari 4 Beta for me :confused:

4. petemwah macrumors regular

safari 4 is still a beta. my guess on time frame is that it'll become final release for the release of snow leopard.

i'd stake my savings on the fact that we'll see new features in safari in 3.0.

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It became a beta today. Before it was just a Developer Preview.

6. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Probably why when I ran the Apple Software Update it didn't come up.
    Wow. That's strange. I could have sworn it said beta when I downloaded it a couple months ago from the developers site.
    And yes, Snow Leopard sounds like a good time for Safari 4, final version, to be released.

7. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

If Apple was going to bring in more HTML5 and Safari 4.0 features to the iPhone, i'd imagine it'd be worthy of release around when the v3 iPhone comes out.

8. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

I could definitely see multi-touch incorporated into mobile Safari.:)

9. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

I actually like Safari on Windows now. Before the UI was hideous and really slow now it's fast and sexy. Now if only they would make iTunes look like that...

10. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

If they made iTunes like that I would uninstall it from my computer.

11. locifcan macrumors newbie

Top Sites is really like Chrome and finally Safari have the New Tab button.

12. Haephestos macrumors regular

I wish they would make iTunes even run like that! :p

No you wouldn't. You need it to sync your iPod Touch! :D

13. No1451 macrumors 6502

Or like Opera which has had "SpeedDial for a long time. So happy, I have been waiting for the place where the features of Safari, Opera and Chrome intersect, and now I have it.

14. william sire macrumors regular

william sire

I just downloaded Safari4 beta. I like it but I lost my favorite app ever. Cooliris. Hpw long will it be now before Cooliris will work in Safari4?

15. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Ok, I would stay at iTunes 8.x

16. Deadman64 macrumors 6502a

I agree about iTunes windows. It's hideous. Also could use some tweaking of its speed. Although my laptop is fairly dated.

17. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

Even on a newer laptop it's slower than molasses in December.

18. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

I speed boost would be nice, I don't really care too much for the Safari UI.
    iTunes runs like crap on PC's, but I have to say iTunes 8.0.2 runs a lot better than iTunes 7.X.X and below.