Safari 4 & No Scroll Bar

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by FunkyMonkey, Jun 12, 2009.

1. FunkyMonkey macrumors 6502

This has happened to me twice since downloading Safari 4 a couple days ago.

All of a sudden, I will load a page and there will be no scroll bars on the right. Once this happens, no matter what site I go to, they all have no scroll bars. It doesn't fix itself until I quit and open it again.

Anyone else have this problem?

2. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

The only time it's happened to me is when I open a web page that is scrolless.

3. FunkyMonkey thread starter macrumors 6502

It's happened once on a Google search page and a Youtube video page. Both always have a scroll bar, so I don't think thats it.

4. gdaiglejr macrumors newbie

It seems to me that the scroll bar never is lacking until I am browsing in a tab that is not the first tab. This has been happening both with the beta of Safari 4 and Safari 4.0 itself. I've had 100% success with closing that tab, creating a new tab and surfing back to the desired URL; the scroll bar reappears.

5. jon08 macrumors 68000

Weird. It just happened to me a min ago - when I opened the Macrumors Forums, it only displayed the upper side of the forums and NO scroll bar on the right, so I couldn't scroll down (mouse scrolling/trackpad wouldn't work either).

I guess this is another one of those Safari issues (like the no-Flash msg that sometimes pops out even though you DO have Flash installed) that get fixed by restarting Safari...

6. EMKarelia macrumors regular

EMKarelia

it might be something that Safari is going through right now. I sure that they will find out whats going on.

7. asdf072 macrumors newbie

Hilarious. I have the same problem, but I can't see if there's a fix because I can't scroll down to check the rest of this thread! (Switching to FF...)

8. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

Yea this has happened to me too. I have to quit in order to get the scroll bar back. Kinda annoying to quit and re-open all your tabs.

9. JavierP macrumors regular

10. LurkingIowan macrumors member

LurkingIowan

This happened to me quite frequently. Switching to SL didn't fix the issue. I'm now using Opera 10 and not missing Safari at all.

11. im_to_hyper macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

This happened twice today now... this most recent one is in the first tab, so I don't think it has anything to do with which tab it is in. Can't two-finger scroll either.

This is Safari 4.0.3 (6531.9) on OS X Snow Leopard 10.6... where can we all submit this to Apple?

Attached Files:

12. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Don't you have a pg dn key on your keyboard? Or did you try that too, and find it disabled?

For anyone else with the same problem, do you have a scroll wheel on your mouse? If so, does that work when there is no scroll bar?

Those are just curiosities, and here's another: No one has mentioned what OS is running with Safari 4. I have 4.0.3 and am still in Leopard (10.5.8) and have never noticed a site without a scroll bar that appeared to have more information "below". So, is it a Snow Leopard / Safari conflict?

13. im_to_hyper macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

I did mention that double finger scrolling on the trackpad doesn't working either, and I'm running the newest Safari with 10.6.1.... post right above yours :)

14. asdf072 macrumors newbie

Neither Page Down or scroll wheel works when it gets like this. It hasn't been acting up for the last couple of days.

Mac OS X 10.6.1 (10B504)
    Safari 4.0.3 (6531.9)

15. Gregg2 macrumors 603

16. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I have experienced the same problem for several months now and I can eliminate your primary suspect and introduce a new one. This has happened to me since either 10.5.7 or 10.5.8, but I know it started soon after installing Safari 4. I haven't been able to track it to a specific cause, but once it happens, it continues to happen to any new page I load in that tab, but if I close the tab and open the page in a new tab, the problem goes away.

jW

17. funkdoctor macrumors member

in for 3. snow leopard.

18. wetrix macrumors 6502

wetrix

I'm having this problem too with 10.6.2 and Safari 4.0.4. I'm running Glims, are any of you?

Attached Files:

19. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Yep, both Glims and latest version of OS X and Safari. Not sure if the problem is related to Glims or not, but when it happens it's annoying. The only way to scroll down is to highlight text on the page and move the cursor towards the bottom of the window.

20. Darkhawk macrumors newbie

Darkhawk

Me too! It happens when I first open safari, but after I navigate from my home page, the scroll bar reappears.