Safari 4 not working..... UGH

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Roofy., Feb 25, 2009.

1. Roofy. macrumors 6502a

So yesterday I DL'd safari 4 and I loved it. Today it doesnt work.

I downloaded this: http://pointum.com/safari-tweaks.html to add the "tweaks" menu. After I downloaded it I had some trouble getting it to work. I originally just dragged the contents of the folder (not the folder itself) into where it is supposed to go and that didnt do anything. So then I redownloaded it and dragged the folder itself into it, that didnt do anything. then I got rid of the orignal Menu.nib file and it caused Safari to not even start. After retrying a bunch of times I eventually got it to work. Once I got it to work I clicked on the "view webless ct" tweak (or whatever it said) just to see what it was, and viola, Safari wouldnt load. Everytime I try to open Safari now, I got an error message saying safari needs to quit.

I even reinstalled safari, didnt work. THEN I threw the installation .dmg file in the trash, as well ass safari it self into the trash and emptied it. Then I used firefox and redownloaded Safari 4 from apple.com. After downloading and installing safari 4 again, restarting the computer, it STILL shows the error message.

How can I get safari back to work? I really dont like Firefox.

2. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

Sounds like you never properly uninstalled safari4. As a beta, it had a proper uninstaller to make sure it replaced system files it had changed. I suggest running that and trying a reinstall. And next time, don't mess with stuff if you don't know what you're doing.

Furthermore, it sounds like thwrebare some system or preference files that you have changed that may not beverlated to safari installation. You need to remember what you did and undo it.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Trying to modify a beta is just asking for trouble. In the future, don't do it.