Safari 4 on Leopard (slow, no cancel?!?)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Beanstreet, Sep 3, 2009.

1. Beanstreet macrumors newbie

Hi MR;

Is it just me or does Safari 4 remove the ability to stop loading a URL? It may be just my set up, but whenever I try to interrupt a long page download by clicking the friendly "X" Safari does NOT respond. Ever. In "Force Quit Applications" Safari is listed as "not responding. It then completes the page load or not. Have we LOST the ability to stop an errant URL in its tracks?? That would be BOOOOOOO with 7 O's. Count them: :eek: :confused: :mad: :( :rolleyes: :eek: :apple: Hopefully it is only a bug.

I add that it often crashes when opening html .webarchive(s_ saved by the previous version.

2. Beanstreet thread starter macrumors newbie

Safari 4 on Leopard (slow, no cancel?)

Argh;

Next observation: the "Top Sites" is ever blank. Not one of the 12 windows has ever drawn. They all remain blank. Further browsing is generally DEAD. I just took the Java update, should have known not to. Now Safari cannot browse anything. Period. It has become a pretty hockey puck. No choice but to kill and go Firefox now. Darn. Is it possible to remove Safari 4 from my Leopard system?? (*Thanks*)

Oh, and editing the URL text triggers some kind of AJAX matching each time I change the URL by one letter. PLEASE can we have a button/manual alternative to turn off this very annoying impediment to my typing? See since Safari cannot browse, it hangs on each URL edit. When it does browse, I must wait for each update. When the internet is slow it really drags me down. Please people. This is a poorly designed feature that eats my valuable time. Can I not push a button to request the matches only when I want to see them?? (Would be nice in Finder finding too, as that is equally annoying.)

Thanks!