Safari 4 on MacBook Collectors Edition =D

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by egk69, Jun 13, 2009.

1. egk69 macrumors 6502

hehehehe

Guys i just want to know if its normal that Safari 4 use a lot mor of RAM than Safari 3? (?= i dont know what the MB comes with) According to istat now that i have Safari 4 i have less free ram!

I have 4GB and i was webbrowsing and changing some files on the computer (finder?) and when i saw the istat meter it was a little bit more full of half!, that means if i had 2GB my MB may crash or something? I even stop working with the files and close the finder and the istat remain the same till i just went to activiti monitor and quit the finder (cause it said finder was using 200MB of ram even when it was closed)

I wonder if i open itunes, safari, photoshop and a few more programs , will i run out of memory?, or is there something that i dont understand here?

or maybe the istat is *****??

well, let me know what you guys think
    Thanks in Advance!

2. morrisman1 macrumors 6502

you cant use more than what you have.

if you had 2gb and to run the applications then what the computer would do is use the harddrive as a slow type of memory for non-critical processes.

Yes the computer would run slower but it wouldnt crash

3. morrisman1 macrumors 6502

ive got 2gb ram on my hackintosh and safari 4 is only using 150mb.

4. egk69 thread starter macrumors 6502

what i meant was that i really use to think 4GB was A LOT!!!, like, "WOW! i would never use that much of RAM!!" but i still get the 4GB for the "Just in Case"

and now that i have it is like "WOW! thank GOD i buy the 4GB cause the 2GB would probably suck right now"

5. morrisman1 macrumors 6502

chances are, like windows vista, apple is allocating as much ram to programs as you have available, it helps with speed to have as many application resources in the ram as you can fit.

Until you get into programs that need lots of ram like photoshop, final cut etc then you wont see any major benefit of having 4gb over 2gb.

The applications may not even be using what iStat is reporting, its just what they have been allocated so they run smooth as butter.

6. ChocolateJesus macrumors member

In giving Safari another shot (haven't found a compelling reason to use it over FireFox) when Safari 4 came out, I can say that it runs really well on the stock 2gb on the "Collectors Edition" Macbook, so complaints here. I am also currently using half my memory, supporting the "only use what you've got" theory previously proposed.

Hope that helps!:apple:

7. Brujo macrumors newbie

Brujo

I only have 2GB of memory on my MacBook and so far Safari 4 seems faster than safari 3. And on my computer Safari 4 is much faster than Firefox. For some reason Firefox runs very slow on my macbook.

8. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Mmmm. Butter...

*probably means "no complaints here." to clear up any confusion :)*

Safari 4 is supposed to be the fastest web browser, so no doubt it'll be faster than 3. I never used three so I can't test, but I'll take your word for it :) Clever Nitro engine!

9. cristo macrumors regular

Somewhat offtopic, but why is the old macbook called a "collectors' edition"? Isn't every old computer then, by definition, a collectors' edition?

10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

No.

It's the same as the 4GB iPhone.

11. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

See this topic.

12. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

No, it's just some people trying to make their old obsolete tat sound a lot better than it really is. :D

13. cristo macrumors regular

Ahh, ok, so it's to make people feel better who otherwise would feel short-changed! Thanks.

14. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Precisely :) No problem!

15. egk69 thread starter macrumors 6502

well to add to this topic, i've experience some crashes on SAFARI 4 (6-10 times in since 1 week maybe less), besides that it works pretty good and i love the Top Sites window! i use it all the time!, that was one of the things i use to love OPERA (on windows)

16. crackbookpro macrumors 65816

crackbookpro

I made a thread the other day similar to yours, and the administrator moved it from the MacBook forum...

I'll look for ya, but anyways, my thread was about "pros or cons with Safari 4"...

I think a lot of people are expressing the RAM it uses being a general negative, but they do like some of the new functions - like Top View/History and others...

CrackBookPro:cool:

17. crackbookpro macrumors 65816

crackbookpro

18. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

weird - with 5 tabs open on my MacBook Safari is only using 58MB of RAM..

19. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Have you tried Firefox 3.5RC? The Java engine in there is ~2-3x faster than FF3, but still ~2x slower than Safari 4.

20. 5DollaFootlong macrumors 6502

5DollaFootlong

i have the 2 gb on my CE 2.4 unibody and it runs smoothly. its a browser, it's not gonna lag.

21. Burning Radio macrumors regular

Love Safari 4! It does seem snappier than 3 was and I haven't had a crash once.

The "history wall" is nice! Like it lots. But the only bad thing is if you do some "naughty browsing" you have to go through and delete those thumbnails. :D

Oh :apple:! Trying to get us into trouble for our peeping eyes!

Oh, and to answer the question, I have a 2.4 with stock 2 gigs and it runs fine along with light photoshopping and iTunes as well as iChat.

22. looman9635 macrumors member

looman9635