Safari 4 slow.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by omega815, Jun 26, 2009.

1. omega815 macrumors newbie

omega815

I'm on my first mac, bought last week. I'm using the new Safari 4 browser and its slow. Anyone else notice this? I'm an old firefox user but dont want to go back because I like the mouse pad gestures in safari.

2. NathanCH macrumors 65816

NathanCH

Possibly your internet setting with the new mac. Safari 4 for me is by far the fastest browser. Noticeably faster than Firefox.

3. Coolnat2004 macrumors 6502

Coolnat2004

I love Safari, but if you prefer Firefox, you can use Multiclutch to use those gestures in any application.

4. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Out of curiosity, is it any faster if you use OpenDNS? (Google should provide instructions on how fairly easily)

5. omega815 thread starter macrumors newbie

omega815

I read the website about OpenDNS but can't figure out just what the hell it is, lol. I'm fairly knowledgeable with computers and networks but can't wrap my mind around what OpenDNS does to my network/computer.
    any help?

Also, just to clarify on what i mean when I say my Safari is slow. It loads fast and all features is fast but the internet is slow. I have really dont much comparison but will it be faster when i'm plugged into power vs using battery.
    As stated eailer, I'm new to macs. I know when I used a Windows Laptop, the default setting on battery power used less system resources to max batt life. Is it the same with Mac's? And if so, would that be the reason for my slow internet experience?

6. borcanm macrumors regular

Thats because Safari is the Mac equivalent of IE. Its slow for me too but not because of the internet. Safari is just slow and crashy no matter what Apple says. Especially when going to websites that have adobe flash content. get Opera on the mac and see if the problem is still there.

7. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

DNS is the system that turns domain names (like www.google.com) into ip addresses (74.125.45.100 in this case) so that your computer can contact them. OpenDNS is an alternative way of doing this to your ISP's DNS service, and some people get better results from it.

8. omega815 thread starter macrumors newbie

omega815

THANK YOU!!!!!!!! Multiclutch is sweet!!!!! Great app. I now can go back to my favorite browser!!!!!!