Safari 4 successfully replaced with Safari 3.23

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nhcowboy1, Aug 1, 2009.

1. nhcowboy1 macrumors 6502

Can anyone advise me how to uninstall Safari 4 from a G4 iBook running Tiger? I need to go back to Safari 3, but the system won't let me do an install that's a downgrade . . .

2. EdoDodo macrumors newbie

Found someone on another forum that said

Haven't tried it myself so not sure if it will work. You can get the installs for all Safari versions here:
    http://support.apple.com/downloads/#internet

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Is the OP running the beta or official release?

4. nhcowboy1 thread starter macrumors 6502

EdoDodo - Now that the official version of Safari 4 is out, the beta version is no longer available.

The only options are to archive and reinstall :)eek:) or try the fix posted here.

Because there are multiple accounts on this computer - each with separate plists - I am a bit uncertain how to proceed, but I'm still inclined to try the quick fix over the archive and reinstall.

Wait for my next post . . . after it all goes to heck in a handbasket! . . . . and feel free to tell me I should have stuck with the more reliable archive and reinstall. Well, here goes . . . .

5. EdoDodo macrumors newbie

Well I guess that for multiple users you would have to delete/rename the files on all the users, worth a try before archive and reinstall.

6. nhcowboy1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Indeed. Did it and it . . . WORKED!!!

Went through each account and carefully pulled out the plists and set them aside in their own folder. Then went back and followed the instructions here for reinstalling Safari 3 for Tiger . . . needed to do some minor tweaking, but nothing terribly tricky . . . and it worked!!!

Ran Safari in each account, put the plists back in where they belonged (yes, in that order), and then ran them again to be sure - and everything seems a-ok.

Much as I was looking forward to doing an archive and reinstall :)D), I'm glad I didn't have to. All in all, it took far more time to discover the fix than to implement it. What a relief!