Safari 4 top sites ignoring web pages...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by wouldyoukindly, May 22, 2009.

1. wouldyoukindly macrumors member

As tedious as the Top Sites feature in safari is, i quite like it, if for nothing else other than the 'cool' factor.

However, there is one site that i visit almost daily (newgrounds.com) and yet safari never includes it in the Top Sites. Its never once been in there since I've had it...

I know its only a beta but still, anyone got any ideas...??

But before anyone suggests so, have already reset the Top Sites by deleting the various plists from the safari folder in my library - didn't work, obviously.

Thanks in advance for anyones suggestions...

EDIT: Latest release of Safari 4 Beta solved this problem.

2. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

No matter how hard I try, AppleInsider.com never gets added to my top sites on my iMac. However, it does get added on the Windows version of Safari 4 Beta... go figure.

3. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

It looks like we're the only two people with this problem... that sucks.

4. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

Are you sure that you haven't used up all your slots with your own choices? supposedly if you type in the URL of a website twice and go to said website, it will show up under topsites. Then again, you could just reset and rebuild.

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You kiddin' me? Throw another tic on the wall.

Nope. Doesn't work.

7. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

If manually adding the site doesn't work (and it does work for me, so it's not that the description of how to do it is wrong), then there's obviously something screwed up. Reset Safari and see if it works after that. If that doesn't help, try removing your Safari preferences (both the Safari folder in the Library and the plist in the Preferences folder), logging out, and then trying again.

After that, who knows. But try those first.

jW

8. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

The OP has already tried that and it didn't work for him. I'm not at home right now, so I can't test it.

Also, I haven't edited any of my Top Sites so it's not that all the slots are taken up.

9. wouldyoukindly thread starter macrumors member

Have tried resetting safari, as said above ^^, and doesn't work...

Also, given other my problem (another thread in this forum), I can no longer install safari 4 so manually adding top sites is no longer possible... reply to my other thread!!!

Help me there first!!

Thanks for the suggestions!

10. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Sounds like you have more deep-rooted problems if Safari won't install. Did you repair permissions? We're approaching the Archive and Install stage here, I'd recommend that if repairing permissions doesn't work.

jW

11. wouldyoukindly thread starter macrumors member

Yea tried repairing permissions...

and sorry, you've lost me with the 'Archive and Install'???

12. Haruhi macrumors regular

13. TheLondoner macrumors newbie

re: safari 5.0.5 facebook preview

hi,

can't get facebook preview to work on top sites on safari 5.0.5. I tried the resetting and all that and didn't work. I've recently done a new install of the OS and it was working initially but it stopped previewing my facebook homepage after a few days. It now previews the log in page but on clicking it it shows my profile. Not a biggy, but i just find it irritating being a perfectionist. Anyone know why this is? Is it a bug on facebook's side?

14. durija macrumors 6502

Consider Opera. Its "Speed Dial" predates "TopSites" by many months (maybe years?), and I find it more efficient and pleasant to use. The only time I use Safari is for the occasional page that has scripting that doesn't support Opera.